How do I add Estimate, Estimated Duration and Estimated Remaining to Create Issue Window

Peyman Askari October 22, 2016

I realize a google search will reveal hundreds, if not thousands of related answers but none of them address what I want. Here is what I want

1. When creating a Scrum Software Development Project
  2. When clicking Create, to create an Issue (Story/Task/Sub Task)
  3. I want to be able to enter a value for Estimate (see here for details)
  4. I want to be able to enter a value for Estimated Duration (see here for details)
  5. I want to be able to enter a value for Remaining Duration (see here for details)

I managed to get points 4 and 5 working, but I didn't document my work, and now I can't recreate it. In any case, I can't get point 3 working, so I have to go create the issue, then go in the Issue Detail View and change it.

I find this is the problem with Jira: It does not have a clean, unified interface. Instead, it has context sensitive functionality which does not need to be so. Also, the high degree of customization is all over the place to the point that one has to go to system preferences to enable time tracking, then go to the Board Preferences to customize, all this for something that is always required for projects: Time Tracking.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 22, 2016

It feels like you are overcomplicating things here - wanting to enter three different and potentially conflicting estimates seems odd to me.  Certainly bad for your users, they don't need to do all of that.

I don't understnad your last paragraph at all.  JIRA has a complex interface because it's a complex system.  It is a little inconsistent to admins in some places, but for users, it's unified and not in the slighest bit "context sensitive" (unless your admins have messed up).  The config for time-tracking is context sensitive, yes, because it's useful.

Peyman Askari October 22, 2016

Nic, if they are conflicting, then they should not be allowed to be used together.

I stand by my context sensitive comment. If, in the Active Sprint view you click on a Task, it comes out on the right. If you control click it, it comes out in its own page. When it is on the right, I can change the Estimate. When it's on it's own page I can not. That is a huge design flaw to me

To give you another example, When on the right, the Move command is under "..">More>Move. When done from its own page it is simply under More>Move.

There are also 3 different ways to view and edit Issues: on the right, in its own page and under the Issues tab

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 23, 2016

It was your question that defined them as conflicting.  They're all there for a reason. 

The layout of the screens varies by the use cases for the various screens - if they all worked the same way, then there wouldn't be several of them.

Suggest an answer