How can i setup new jira to connect to existing jira database ?

Tiraphol Pengvanich June 20, 2016

I have 1 JIRA , if the webserver is down , can i change the new  webserver to connect to existing JIRA_DB.

1. Can it change on dbconfig.xml? 
  2. or any step require? 

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2016

This sounds like a failover process.  Corentin's answer is spot on, but if it is in the context of a failover:

JIRA is not just a "web server".  If you do mean just the web-server (a lot of us stick JIRA behind Apache or Nginx), then you just point the failover web-server at the JIRA.

If you mean "my JIRA server has failed", then, for failover, I'd expect you to have (or build) a new JIRA installation, with no data, on a new machine, with the same version of JIRA as the production system.  In this case, yes, you point that at your old database, start the failover JIRA and it'll work.  BUT, you will need to reindex it before your users can make use of it as well.

1 vote
Corentin Méhat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2016

Yes you can. It will install an empty JIRA on the configured DB, or try to upgrade if it's an older&compatible JIRA.

0 votes
Tiraphol Pengvanich June 21, 2016

Thank you very much you guy,

one more question , can i copy JIRA_HOME (index,attachment) from the old webserver , and paste it to new webserver , can it work  without re-index. because re-index is take time , i would like to make it as quick as possible. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2016

You'll want to copy attachments anyway.

For the re-index, in theory, yes, as long as your process has been "shut down production JIRA cleanly with the stop-JIRA script".  Unfortunately, even with a clean shutdown, I've had problems with indices that have simply been copied.

And, remember that jira_home contains the file pointing it to the production database, so you need to exclude that (I'd drop all the working and temporary directories too, but that's not critical)

Suggest an answer