How can i monitor project progress by using epics

TomboNL October 13, 2016

For all our projects, we have a specific set of work packages that need to be done. I put them in JIRA as Epics with a initial estimation in hours. 
In our sprints, we define user stories with subtasks which are linked to those Epics.

To organize some monitoring mechanism, I want an overview of the hours that I've spend on the user stories (and subtasks) compared with he initial estimation of the  EPIC. Is this possible?

For example, let's say I initially estimated 40 hours on EPIC A, and in sprint one I spend 20 hours working on User Story A which is linked to EPIC A, I want to see that 20 of the 40 hours are spend (50%)

At the moment I use the Epic Sum Up plugin. But, what I see is that the  hours that are estimated for User Stories are added to the initial estimation of the the Epic and this is not what I want.

Anyone with the same problem? Or better...anyone with a solution?

2 answers

0 votes
TomboNL October 14, 2016

Hi...thank you for your reply. I already read this article but unfortunately this doesn't solve my problem completely. 

What I want to try to accomplish is to define somewhere a baseline where I schedule an initial estimation for all workpackages (1 workpackage is one epic). During the scrum-process, I want to create tasks (user stories and sub-tasks) which are linked to the epics without increasing the initial estimation of the workpackage (epic).

So far, I didn't find a way to accomplish this

0 votes
vitaliy zapolskyy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2016

Marvin, I'm afraid JIRA by design expects slightly different approach. Wwll, is enough flexible to be used in a way it wasn't built to be used, but...

I'd recommend to try to follow 'Atlassian' way first: https://confluence.atlassian.com/agile/jira-agile-user-s-guide/configuring-a-board/configuring-estimation-and-tracking

Suggest an answer