How can I transition an issue with no available transitions?

Vijin Ravindran November 26, 2018

Hi. I know the question is sort of an oxymoron but what I want it somewhat that. There is an issue where I have the UI permission to 'Withdraw', 'Decline' etc. which will basically change the status to 'Closed'.  I understand that the status cannot be changed with the update method, so the transition_issue must be used, but I'm getting an empty list for the available transitions on this issue. Is there any other way I can set it to 'Closed'?

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Aaron Williams
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 26, 2018

I'm struggling to fully understand the problem here, but it sounds like you have something in 'Decline' or 'Withdraw' resolution but want to move it to 'Closed', and the 'Status' is still the same (ie. Done, resolution can be 'Decline', 'Withdraw', 'Closed', etc.) - so you're looking to update the Resolution under the same Status?

If yes, the best way I can think is to implement a new transition that loops back to the same status, and either you:

a) set a screen to allow you to pick any resolution you need, or;

b) post-transition to set it to desired resolution

In any case, when you need a transition and there is no available transition, you either need to implement a new transition, or fix the permissions/conditions of an existing one.

Vijin Ravindran November 26, 2018

Right. So it seems the REST_API user didn't have permissions to close issues opened by other users, despite being the 'everybody' group which does have permissions to transition issues. I suppose this might be because of a more granular permission setting somewhere. It came down to either implementing a new work flow within the project or playing with the permissions.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 26, 2018

No, you need to push the issue through a transition.

If you don't have any available, then talk to your admins about adding one and/or getting permission to use one.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events