How can I change the default sort option of Priority for the Issue Navigator?

Solitonman March 17, 2016

When I get into the Issue Navigator for a project I see the issues sort according to Priority by default.  We don't really use Priority in our projects, so it's annoying to have to select a new field (which I can't scroll to, btw) and then re-select the ordering, and THEN, if I'm lucky, I don't have to change the filter, otherwise the view defaults to sorting by Priority.

I can't find any documentation on how to configure this setting.  I want to be able to have the issues sort by Key, descending, when I open the Issue Navigator.  Anyone know if there's a way to make that happen?  Thanks!

8 answers

4 votes
Alessandro Tondo December 3, 2018

Already reported here, but it needs much more interest to hope for development: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-65785.

Mark Frederick December 3, 2018

Alessandro is right !  Pls click the URL he provided and then click "Vote for this Issue", upper-right under the 'People' section ....

Like # people like this
Rajan Pandya December 4, 2018

Alessandro, Mark, Thank you for the highlighting that there is an issue out there and to vote for it.

Like Mike Stephens likes this
Alessandro Tondo December 4, 2018

@Mark Frederick@Rajan Pandya: maybe upvoting this post would help other people to quickly reach the feature request.

Rajan Pandya December 4, 2018

Yes, that is already in progress. :)

John Tolle April 16, 2019

Voted and commented!  Everyone else should do the same, and post that issue link everywhere you can.

Like Elliot Koontz likes this
3 votes
Michael Partyka
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2016

I am afraid that there is no other option than add ORDER BY clause in every filter

jm7752 April 5, 2017

This is COMPLETELY Stupid

I have to track mulitple projects on an hourly basis, and having to change "priority" to "key" each time I want to view latest issues is a waste of productivity and amounts to a definate COST to the company as the time it takes to do this is multiplied across engineers PMs etc.

As a system admin, if I can change the way boards and screens are displayed, why can't a user profile have the ability to assign their default "issue" order without having to create a filter to do so.

This should be an easy feature to provide considering how configurable JIRA is. 

Atlassian please don't address your customer base needs like MS does.

Like # people like this
Todd Goates October 6, 2017

I am in the same boat.  If we could configure the default sort order from priority to another custom field such as key, that would be very helpful.  Please make this happen!

Like # people like this
Mark Frederick December 27, 2017

I agree with John, this is a no-brainer.  Need to avoid changing the sort order EVERY time - too many clicks and we have other places to sort by Priority.  If I click Issues to see the master listing, I obviously want to see the latest first.

Like # people like this
Audrey Fisher March 29, 2018

The dropdown list next to the default Order by Priority is demented. Over 300 items. A small handful (7-10?) of common-sense frequently used options such as by Date, by Issue number, etc. listed in a separate section at the top of the list would definitely help Jira users.

Like # people like this
Allison Vess June 5, 2018

Hello - yes, this is one year later than this issue was opened.  Any resolution here?

Having the default sort be Key with Asc or Desc makes MUCH more sense than by priority.  Having the default sort of issues by Priority is useless.

Allison Vess June 5, 2018

sorry TWO years later - even worse.

Like # people like this
Mike Stephens June 12, 2018

I'm with John and all the rest above: This is stupid. I deal with it every day and find no reason in the world that priority should be the default. If they can make it configurable then for all the money we are paying for this stuff they need to hire a programmer that can fix this issue.

Like Dean Stelow likes this
Kelly Hodsdon September 5, 2018

Not sure jumping on helps -- but I just researched this and found 3 other threads asking for this very same feature - the ability for a user to set the default issue sort.

This one looks like a pretty needed and handy feature.  Maybe look at items like this that make your existing tool better vs. doing full rewrites of tools that muck up things like projects beyond recognition.

Like # people like this
Mike Stephens September 5, 2018

Agreed. Apparently their programming staff, assuming one exists, is NOT directed to handle real issues with their existing product.

Elliot Koontz March 13, 2020

For everyone reading this thread -- at the very least, follow the recommendation below and make sure to upvote this issue if you'd like to see it fixed. Go to the URL here https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-65785 and on the right-hand side under People, select "Vote for this Issue". 

Vladislav December 9, 2020

Voted +1

2 votes
Deleted user June 26, 2019

Workaround: If you create a bookmark to your project's issues page and add a query string parameter:

orderby=key+DESC

and then save that as a bookmark then you will have a link to that page which defaults the sort to key.

You can also simply set the order to whatever you want and then bookmark the url and you have a link to your project that will sort the way you way. I know its a pain to do this for each project but less a pain than having to update the order by each time. Hope that helps.

1 vote
Mark Frederick October 9, 2018

I'm an avid Jira user since early 2016 and have been watching this thread.  I can't understand why Support cannot fulfill such a seemingly simple request with all the people that are out there asking about it.  Forgetting for a minute all the people asking for a change, it simply defies logic to have coded it the way it is right now anyway.  All I can think to do is pile onto the list of those complaining about it so maybe they will listen.

Mike Stephens December 4, 2018

Agreed

Like Lore Eargle likes this
1 vote
Mohamed Alaoui September 25, 2018

One of you Heroes needs to log this as a support ticket and share with the rest of the squad so we can vote for the feature to be implemented in a future release

Who's going to take the initiative?

Mike Stephens September 25, 2018

Apparently it takes more than 7 individuals struggling with the very same issue to get their attention.

Alessandro Tondo December 3, 2018

There is a feature request since Aug 2017, look at my answer.

0 votes
Zach Mauch March 20, 2019

Is there any way to change this with a plugin?

0 votes
Isaac Beadling January 3, 2019

I voted. But, after two years, it is seeming to need a "midterm election" to break the stalemate. Does Atlassian have those? :) It could be admitting, indirectly, there is something too embedded to be worth fixing to them; a shame. They should, because it kills their customer's productivity, and is very frustrating. I've wasted so much time screwing with this menu. The last time I got a support ticket done they were timely, persistent on verifying my resolution, pleasant, and pretty much custom-fixed my situation. For the record, however, it was a bug already. This is no different, with the exception of the extreme "popularity", so I don't understand why there is no adequate explanation despite all the votes on that link, other than to speculate a bit more as I have done already.

0 votes
Mike Stephens September 25, 2018

Make this a variable so it can be set by the user.

Rajan Pandya October 8, 2018

Agree with that. It's painful to reset this from Priority to Key, for my sake.

It should remember the last state set and remain as that until changed.

Like # people like this
Mike Stephens December 4, 2018

Even that would be better than what it does now.

Suggest an answer