Hi I am working in Ford. I wanted to know if I could create a new field in a project

Reshma Regi July 18, 2019

eg : I need to differentiate my issues between Hardware, Software and calibration. So I need a multi selectable field when I create an issue.

Is this already available? I don't want to use the existing Issue type and component field as I am already using it for other things

2 answers

1 vote
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 18, 2019

Hi Reshma,

Jira comes with a few different kinds of custom field you can create. Have a look at the documentation to start with: Adding a custom field

It is necessary for you to be a Jira administrator and as just creating a custom field is not enough and you will have to associate it with different configuration items like screens. But long story short you can add a Select List (multiple choices) custom field and configure it according to your needs for a specific project without a problem.

Best, Max

Edit, some further reading might be helpful as well to understand the structure and relations of the different schemes in Jira so I suggest having a look at the first picture here. It helped me a lot and many others as well I guess ;) Project screens, schemes and fields

0 votes
Aleksandr Zuevich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 18, 2019

Hi,

You can create custom field of type Select List (multiple choices). It is done in Jira administration -> Issues -> Custom fields.

Reshma Regi July 18, 2019

Thank you for your reply. Whom should I contact to get the JIRA administrator rights? 

Aleksandr Zuevich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 19, 2019

I suppose you should ask your Jira admins to add this field.

Suggest an answer