Extracting post release bug/fault data using issue filter of JIRA

Analyzer November 28, 2016

I have very basic question regarding JIRA Issue tracking system. How do I find post release fault/bug data for any open source software? Is it present in current issue release or in later versions? For example, how to find faults identified in FLUME-1.4? Is it going to be later version like, Flume-1.5 or 1.6 ? or in present version? If So, how do I find bug data.  For your reference, currently, I am processing bug data as follows:

(1) issues are exported as XML report.  In XML bug data, there are different tags, <type>, <resolution>, which is best way to find bug-data identified in corresponding source code? 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2016

Hi Analyzer,

I'll do my best to answer without knowing any specifics about FLUME or your XML report, so please treat with a bit of caution.

It will to depend on exactly how the project/community uses JIRA, but generally best practice is to use the 'Affects Version" field to mark an issue as affecting a particular version. These could be issues found pre or post release. The resolution field would be set if no further work is needed on the issue.

So, using the JIRA instance at https://issues.apache.org, to find bugs affecting v1.4.0 you probably need to do a search like:

project = FLUME and type = Bug and affectedVersion = "v1.4.0" and resolution = Unresolved

Apologies if this is not what you need, but this is how I would search using general best practice.

I hope this helps a bit. If it doesn't can you give a bit more explanation and hopefully someone can step in with a good answer.

Sam

I really appreciate your diligence. However, my query is some what different. Although, for any specific issue, I might follow as you suggested, but, when we are trying traverse through entire report using some scripting, then there has to be an integrated approach. As I said, I am trying work with XML issue report generated for any project. So, basically, XML report contains tags like comments, resolution, type and version which further store the information of project issues. However, it is really not defined weather the "Fixed" text appearing into resolution tag XML tag indicates bug in current version or previous one.  

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2016

OK. Maybe it will help to look at a sample issue XML. Say: https://issues.apache.org/jira/sr/jira.issueviews:searchrequest-xml/temp/SearchRequest.xml?jqlQuery=issuekey+%3D+FLUME-2798

This one contains the following XML:

&lt;type id="1" iconUrl="https://issues.apache.org/jira/images/icons/issuetypes/bug.png"&gt;Bug&lt;/type&gt;
&lt;resolution id="1"&gt;Fixed&lt;/resolution&gt;
&lt;created&gt;Sun, 20 Sep 2015 20:36:34 +0000&lt;/created&gt;
&lt;updated&gt;Sat, 18 Jun 2016 17:37:32 +0000&lt;/updated&gt;
&lt;resolved&gt;Fri, 2 Oct 2015 23:20:14 +0000&lt;/resolved&gt;
&lt;version&gt;v1.4.0&lt;/version&gt;
&lt;version&gt;v1.5.0&lt;/version&gt;
&lt;version&gt;v1.6.0&lt;/version&gt;
&lt;fixVersion&gt;v1.7.0&lt;/fixVersion&gt;

The way I read this is:

• Each <version> is a version affected by the bug. So the bug was present in v1.4, v1.5 and v.1.6.

• <resolution> shows that the bug was closed as "Fixed".

• <fixVersion> therefore shows that the bug was fixed by version 1.7.

Any help?

Sam

Sam, I guess, your answer seems to be working now. One change might be required. I need modify argument resolution=Fixed. That will to help to extract post release faults. I will further check and confirm it. Thanks. 

Suggest an answer