Execution Calculation Problem

Ahmet Kuran April 24, 2020

Hi Everyone, 

Although I only use "single project rule", 62 execution has used when 3 rules are working in order.

I could not understand the source of the problem.

Thanks for the answer in advance

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 28, 2020

Hi Ahmet,

If I understand the problem here, you are using the automation features in Jira Cloud, but you are seeing more executions than you expect.  I would be interested if you can go to the Cog icon -> System  -> Automation rules (the URL for this will look like https://[yourcloudsite].atlassian.net/plugins/servlet/ac/com.codebarrel.addons.automation/cb-jira-automation-rules#!/ ).

This page provides us an overview of all the rules, as well as all the global rules.  I certainly would not expect that if you only had single project rules that you would see any executions that count against your limit.  As per How is my usage calculated?,

Single-project rule executions do not count towards your usage

So instead I suspect that there must be (or have been in the past) some multi-project or global rules that were executed 62 times.  However that page in your Cloud site has a Usage tab you can click to see exactly which are the top rules to have count towards your execution limit.

Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 4.12.09 PM.png

I'd be interested to see what your page here looks like, I think it should help shed some light on the usage here.

Please let me know the results.

Andy

Ahmet Kuran May 1, 2020

Hi Andy,

I was waiting for my account to be reset for testing.

As you can see in the picture, i have 10 active global rules. It is difficult for me to explain the structure I built. But i will try:)

when I create a new issue in project A, i open another issue related to this issue in project B. Global rules only come into effect when an issue in project B is completed. None of the global rules should come into effect when i create new issue in project A however when I open a new issue, each of the 10 global rules is checked 6 times and 60 rules are used. 

Global rules only come into effect when an issue in project B is completed.

all rules.PNGone of 10 rules_.jpgUsage.PNG

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 5, 2020

Hi Ahmet,

It looks like your rule is set to trigger based on any time the status of any issue changes.  Even if the conditions do not match to fire off an action, if the trigger criteria is met, this still counts as an execution.   I can see that SATIS-3 rule runs 6 times in about 8 seconds.   One of these is in project STPC, while the rest are in project ST.

What I can't tell is which issues are changing status here.  I suspect these are all linked issues there based on another action that is happening.  But I can't tell for sure. I suppose if there is some rule that is changing the status of a single issue repeatedly, it would still cause this.  If you expand each of those and click the Show More, it should tell you more about which issue is being changed here.  If you see the same issue appearing here more than once, then I'd be interested to understand why.  If each execution here has a unique issue key, then it seems like it's following a logical status change for each.

You could then go into that issue, and click the History tab in order to try to see what values changed on the issue. I'd like to know more before suggesting alternatives here.  It might be that changing the trigger to look for a different change could help, but before you look at that, I would want to know more about the number of executions here.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events