Exception Errors in JIRA 7.3.7 after upgrade with Create Issue

Dhaval Patel July 10, 2017

Hi Atlassian Support and Community Members,

We have JIRA Core on premises and we made update from JIRA 6.1 to 7.3.7 using phased approach by jumping from 6.1 to 6.4 then to 7.0 and then to 7.3.7. We did not run into any problem between 6.1 to 7.0 but when we jump to 7.3.7 some users when they go in to create a new issue we get this errors:

Exception occurred: com.atlassian.plugins.rest.common.json.JsonMarshallingException: org.codehaus.jackson.map.JsonMappingException: Caught SQLException for select ACTION.id, ACTION.issueid, ACTION.author, ACTION.actiontype, ACTION.actionlevel, ACTION.rolelevel, ACTION.actionbody, ACTION.created, ACTION.updateauthor, ACTION.updated, ACTION.actionnum from dbo.jiraaction ACTION where ACTION.issueid = ? and ACTION.actiontype = ? order by ACTION.created asc, ACTION.id asc offset ? rows fetch next ? rows only (through reference chain: com.atlassian.jira.quickedit.rest.api.field.QuickEditFields["createdIssueDetails"]->com.atlassian.jira.rest.v2.issue.IssueBean["fields"]->java.util.HashMap["comment"])

If I as an user click cancel so stop the process of creating issue, issue does get created after it.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Gary Smith July 29, 2017

I'm guessing we are all using SQL Server 2008 or 2008R2. Which according to this

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/end-of-support-announcements-802592169.html

is no longer supported.  This is a problem for me.

Elvis Dominguez July 31, 2017

Is a problem for me too. Shame on me not having read the news on unsupported platforms... 

Any guide available on downgrading or migrating to another DB instance?

BRAgnar
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 31, 2017

Hey Elvis,

You can check instructions on how to migrate JIRA here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/migrating-jira-applications-to-another-server-802592269.html

It covers migrating JIRA itself and the database. If you wish only to use another database, you can skip the steps related to JIRA installation itself.

Vince Asta August 18, 2017

What about upgrading the existing database from 2008R2 to 2012?

@Elvis Dominguez: No shame in not reading the news on unsupported platforms, Atlassian could do more to alert people before they upgrade to a busted system. It's trivial for the installation upgrade to check for the current info and warn against upgrading. Shame on Atlassian for not warning people of this. Based on the amount of posts regarding this, Atlassian should have done more to warn users before upgrading.

1 vote
Sebastian Holmqvist July 11, 2017

Facing the same issue. Did you solve this?

2017-07-11 16:46:05,106 http-nio-80-exec-9 ERROR sholmq 1006x8041x1 af26tf 192.168.102.128 /secure/QuickCreateIssue.jspa [c.a.j.quickedit.action.QuickCreateIssue] com.atlassian.plugins.rest.common.json.JsonMarshallingException: org.codehaus.jackson.map.JsonMappingException: Caught SQLException for select ACTION.id, ACTION.issueid, ACTION.author, ACTION.actiontype, ACTION.actionlevel, ACTION.rolelevel, ACTION.actionbody, ACTION.created, ACTION.updateauthor, ACTION.updated, ACTION.actionnum
    from dbo.jiraaction ACTION
    where ACTION.issueid = ? and ACTION.actiontype = ?
    order by ACTION.created asc, ACTION.id asc
    offset ? rows fetch next ? rows only (through reference chain: com.atlassian.jira.quickedit.rest.api.field.QuickEditFields["createdIssueDetails"]->com.atlassian.jira.rest.v2.issue.IssueBean["fields"]->java.util.HashMap["comment"])

Specific error:

Exception occurred: com.atlassian.plugins.rest.common.json.JsonMarshallingException: org.codehaus.jackson.map.JsonMappingException: Caught SQLException for select ACTION.id, ACTION.issueid, ACTION.author, ACTION.actiontype, ACTION.actionlevel, ACTION.rolelevel, ACTION.actionbody, ACTION.created, ACTION.updateauthor, ACTION.updated, ACTION.actionnum from dbo.jiraaction ACTION where ACTION.issueid = ? and ACTION.actiontype = ? order by ACTION.created asc, ACTION.id asc offset ? rows fetch next ? rows only (through reference chain: com.atlassian.jira.quickedit.rest.api.field.QuickEditFields["createdIssueDetails"]->com.atlassian.jira.rest.v2.issue.IssueBean["fields"]->java.util.HashMap["comment"])
Dhaval Patel July 11, 2017

JIRA Suite Utilities plugin was originally what we thought was the culprit but disabling it did not solve the problem. We created ticket with JIRA support and it seems when they looked at the HAR and Support.zip file it is issue with us being on SQL 2008 vs SQL 2012/2014.  We are exploring option to upgrade to 2012.

I see. I'm in the same position then. Bummer... Thinking if I need to downgrade to 7.2 again in order to avoid any corruption.

Wojciech Sosinski July 21, 2017

I have the same issue - "brand new" trial installation, version Jira 7.4.0. Exception occured due creation new issue in test project. 

Let me know if you find solution

thx

Elvis Dominguez July 28, 2017

I have the same issue after upgrading from 7.3.6 to 7.4.1.

:(

Some tips to solve this?

Gary Smith July 28, 2017

I too have what looks like a very similar problem after upgrading from 7.0 to 7.4.  I'm on SQL 2008R2.

Elvis Dominguez July 31, 2017

Same DB here, 2008R2... :(

Dhaval Patel August 2, 2017

Hello All, we ended up upgrading it SQL 2012. We ran into couple additional issues when we tried to migrate our existing data so I would suggest if you can figure out budget to migrate to 2012 do so but work with support at atlassian to make sure you follow guidance. Our main issue was when we did upgrade was around Lexorank Rank fields and once we followed supports' suggestions we are good to go now.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events