Example of limiting project access for HR, Marketing,

Deniz Franck April 27, 2016

Although the documentation is good, and explains multiple ways of setting up users, roles, permissions, permission schemes, etc... but it does not explain the best practice and the easiest best practice given some simple user stories. Example: 

I want to setup 5 users to see an HR project and its issues and everything else but SW project to keep all my HR processes and document confidential 

I want to setup 10 users to just see the Marketing project only to ensure non-disclosure agreements are maintained

I want to setup another 15 users to see all other projects except the HR and Marketing project to ensure employee confidentialtiy and non-disclosure agreemenst

Can tutorials or other documentation be added? The community just have snippets of answers; nothing really usable like this. 

2 answers

1 vote
Chris Dunne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 27, 2016

Firstly, I think you need to be using roles and not groups when assigning permissions. Roles are far more flexible.

A Role will be assigned permissions in a permission scheme such as Browse Issues, Edit Issues etc. Go to Project Administration -> Permissions.

There are some default roles so check your permission scheme and see which role has the correct permissions for your user, or define a new role and assign it to the permissions in the scheme. (I'm assuming you are a JIRA administrator).

Finally go to Project Administration -> Roles and add the users / groups to the appropriate roles.

Chris

0 votes
Frédéric Tardieu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 27, 2016

Hi Denz,

From my point of view, you can achieve this by using user groups.

As an admin, create a first group of 5 users, and then in the admin section of the HR projet, assign the client & user project's rights to this group, and go on this way for the other projects (a group of user per project).

Note that if needed, a user can be part of several group of users.

Have a look to https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/managing-groups-185729462.html .

Best regards,

F.

Deniz Franck April 27, 2016

Hi Frederic! I understand the groups but applying the group to a project is not clear. It has groups, then permissions schemes, project roles, etc.  How do I simply apply the group to a project? Seems like I have to remove permission schemes?? that's what I'm referring to - a simple "how to apply groups" that includes how to remove all the other stuff to make it happen. I found other things on the web that alluded to it, but the instructions are outdated - the navigation/admin selections are different. 

Deleted user April 27, 2016

If you look here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/managing-project-permissions-185729636.html

and scroll down about half way it describes how to add a group or role to a permission(s). Only assign the group/role to what you want them to be able to do. Assign the users you want to give access to that group/role.

Note different project configuration will require separate permission schemes - no problem, I do that all the time... different projects, different groups, different Permission Scheme.

Suggest an answer