Error importing trello project in JIRA

Hello,

I've tried to ask this once before, only it got marked as SPAM? After this ive posted it @ trello and now im asking it here :)

When i try to import trello cards with the JIRA importer (JIRA 7.5.3) i'm getting this error: 

An error occurred whilst rendering this message. Please contact the administrators, and inform them of this bug. Details: ------- org.apache.velocity.exception.MethodInvocationException: Invocation of method 'getFormTitle' in class com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.web.ImporterLogsPage threw exception com.atlassian.jira.exception.DataAccessException: org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericEntityException: while inserting: [GenericEntity:Status][sequence,99][statuscategory,1][name,Requirements freeze WS1 20-2-17 release 15-5-2017 in productie][iconurl,/images/icons/statuses/generic.png][description,][id,10731] (SQL Exception while executing the following:INSERT INTO dbo.issuestatus (ID, SEQUENCE, pname, DESCRIPTION, ICONURL, STATUSCATEGORY) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?) (String or binary data would be truncated.)) at 

 

Servers:

Windows Server 2012R2 
SQL server 2014

1 answer

0 votes

Hi Nick,

When you asked on the Trello side did you get a response?  Usually when I see this in JIRA it's related to the collation as outlined in SQL Exception while updating issues or importing data in JIRA applications with MySQL due to encoding.  You'll need to verify the encoding using the steps below:

  1. Verify the System Encoding encoding is utf-8 in Administration > System Info > System Encoding. If it is not, add the below argument to the JVM, as in Setting Properties and Options on Startup.

    -Dfile.encoding=utf-8
    -Dsun.jnu.encoding=UTF-8
  2. Check that the correct URL is used in dbconfig.xml, as in Connecting JIRA to MySQL.
  3. Verify the table collations are all utf8_bin by executing the below SQL on the JIRA database:

    SELECT DISTINCT C.collation_name, T.table_name
    FROM   information_schema.tables AS T,
           information_schema.`collation_character_set_applicability` AS C
    WHERE  C.collation_name = T.table_collation
           AND T.table_schema = DATABASE()
           AND C.collation_name != 'utf8_bin';
  4. And verify the database collation is utf8_bin:

    SELECT default_collation_name
    FROM   information_schema.schemata S
    WHERE  schema_name = (SELECT DATABASE()
                          FROM   DUAL);

If the database is not utf8_bin for both the tables and database, it will need to be recreated with the steps in SQL Exception while updating issues or importing data in JIRA applications with MySQL due to encoding.

Cheers,

Branden

Branden,

This is for MySQL, not MsSql (microsoft SQL server) am i correct?

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
Community showcase
Published Monday in Jira Service Desk

Frequently Asked Questions for Jira Service Desk (AKA JSD FAQ)

Just the FAQs! Welcome to the Community, and this Focused-FAQ! Here, we've pulled together some of the most frequently asked questions associated with Jira Service Desk (JSD). We hope ...

160 views 0 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you