Does Jira Software (Data Center edition) support Multi tenancy?

Shadab_Naveed November 1, 2018

Does Jira Software (Data Center edition) support Multi tenancy? 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 1, 2018

Depends on what you mean by "multi tenancy".  It certainly supports different organisations using it and segregating their data, but if you mean "having many totally separated services for different sets of people", then no, you need to install many separate services.

We plan to use the software for different business units in our company,
an important requirement is that the business only able to see their own data like projects and should be able to administer their projects themselves.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 1, 2018

You can set that up easily with permissions.  Make sure the permission scheme for each project only grants access to the unit who should use it.

With careful admin (and getting rid of Atlassian's default "anyone with a login gets access to everything"), you can completely isolate projects into silos.

The things you can't do are:

Jira and System admins have rights over the whole system, as that's their job.  You can't limit them to a set of projects.  (Project admins can do "administer their projects, with no access to other people's stuff" though)

Totally isolate users.  You can turn off the lookup and user directory, but it is still possible for users to see each other.  Imagine you have two users from different business units - Alice Brough and Anna Brough, with usernames of abrough and abrough1 respectively.  As Bob, I log in and try to get hold of Anna, but I take a guess that her login is abrough (dropping the 1), I will find and see Alice instead.

Like Shadab_Naveed likes this

As Jira admins cannot be limited to a set of projects and Project admins cannot create issue types, modify workflows, we cannot achieve the requirement of having someone isolated in a project and be able to create issue types and edit their workflows. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 1, 2018

Nearly.  Look at the latest 7.12 Jira release.  Project admins have more power over the admin of a project than they used to - they can change workflows and some field options.  Issue types, no.

But as issue types are structural and essential to defining shared processes in a sane way, you almost certainly don't want project admins messing with them.  Possibly being able to select them from a list, but creating new ones, no.

Like Shadab_Naveed likes this

Thank you Nic !

0 votes
srikanth duggineni April 30, 2020

As the browsing users controlled at global permission and cannot limit the users visibility at project level with user picker field, in real sense, it does not support unless you go and switch off that permission. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 2, 2020

Indeed, see the answer above.

Suggest an answer