Difference between components and labels?

Dear JIRA users,
As a new user of JIRA, I wish to know what the difference between component and label is? When to use which one?  
Thank you in advance.
Regards 

2 answers

Hello Xheneta,

By the definition of component:

• Components are sub-sections of a project. They are used to group issues within a project into smaller parts.

And label: 

• Labeling allows you to categorize an issue(s) in a more informal way than assigning it to a version or  component. You can then search for issues that have been given a particular label.

There are some differences on what can be achieved on each one of these, and are further explained here:

Regards,

Rodrigo

Main differences for me: Labels can be defined by anyone, components are admin managed and can have default assignee.

See also related topic here: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/stories-vs-epics-components-modelling-product-jira-piotr/

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published yesterday in Confluence

Three common content challenges + how to manage them

An efficient enterprise content management system, or ECM, is a must-have for companies that create work online (cough   cough, all companies). If content calendars, marketing plans, and bu...

54 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you