It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Difference between components and labels?

Dear JIRA users,
As a new user of JIRA, I wish to know what the difference between component and label is? When to use which one?  
Thank you in advance.
Regards 

2 answers

5 votes
Rodrigo Atlassian Team Oct 28, 2015

Hello Xheneta,

By the definition of component:

• Components are sub-sections of a project. They are used to group issues within a project into smaller parts.

And label: 

• Labeling allows you to categorize an issue(s) in a more informal way than assigning it to a version or  component. You can then search for issues that have been given a particular label.

There are some differences on what can be achieved on each one of these, and are further explained here:

Regards,

Rodrigo

Main differences for me: Labels can be defined by anyone, components are admin managed and can have default assignee.

See also related topic here: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/stories-vs-epics-components-modelling-product-jira-piotr/

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira Core

How to manage many similar workflows?

I have multiple projects that use variations of the same base workflow. The variations depend on the requirements of the project or issue type. The variations mostly come in the form of new statuses ...

1,215 views 8 1
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you