Customize existing layout ..

Eliya Voldman July 12, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Project screens, schemes and fields

Hello,

I'm not much familiar with JIRA but my company is using it widely. I do have administrative privilege on our JIRA Project.

My team has a request to change slightly a layout of the Project. E.g. add additional 'text box' that would mention e.g. instrument name or move existing 'control' from top to the bottom of the page and etc.

Hence my question: Could I change/add/remove/rearrange existing layout of the Project without having access to JIRA code but having Admin privilege.

In case the answer is 'yes' ... how should I do it?

Thanks in advance ..

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ashlee Reid July 13, 2016

Hello Eliya, I think I know how to do what you're needing help with.  Just so I can be sure, you are wanting to add a new/additional field for when someone submits a ticket that has them enter the name of the machine they're using?  If this is what you're needing to add, and are still needing help, I know how to do this.  I'll include below the steps I have taken in the past to add an additional field to our request tickets for specific information we're wanting when a ticket is submitted to my team. 

• First, make sure you're logged in as an Admin.
  • Once you're logged in, click on the 'cog' icon next to your avatar on the top right of the screen, and then click on the 'Issue's link.  
  • From there you'll want to click on the link that says 'Custom Fields', which is on the left side of your screen in the list of links and will be under the 'Fields' section.
  • Then you should see a button that you can push that says 'Add custom field' towards the top right of the screen. 
  • From here you can choose the specific type of field type you'd like to add.  After selecting the field type, and the specific information required, click through the required screens until you can click the 'create' button.  
  • Once you've created your new field, you will then select which screens you'd like the field to appear on.  (You'll most likely select the option for your project that says 'default' under the Tab Section).
  • Now that your custom field is added as an available field to pick, you now need to add it to your request ticket field options  
  • To do this, simply go to your project settings by going back into your project and select the option for 'Request Types'. 
  • Here you should see all of your available request types, and you'll add this field to the applicable request type by selecting the request type you're wanting to add it to, and then click the 'Add a Field' button towards the top right, and then you should see your newly created field as an option. You can arrange it wherever you'd like it to appear on the ticket and you should be good to go! smile

Hopefully this is what you were looking for, and if not, now you know how to add a custom field if you didn't know how to before. 

Thanks for reading!! 

-Ashlee 

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 12, 2016

Adding a text box is covered by the link you've already mentioned in your question.

Rearranging a screen is code change if you mean you want to change the layout of the issue view screen (transition, create and edit screens are simple lists of fields, again covered in your link)

Eliya Voldman July 12, 2016

Thanks for reply but please explain me again in details smile

I'll be more specific: current implementation of our Project does not have a field with 'instrument' name. My team wants to add a 'control' e.g. 'text box' with a header 'machine name' and make it mandatory (preferably) in order user fill in a new ticket he'll need (and have the option) to put the name of the 'machine'.

In order to implement this: 1. should some code be changed ( this is not what I'm expecting )? or 2. just re-arrangement of fields could  be done ( without code change ... this is what I'm expecting ) smile

In case 2. is doable ... please point me to the link how to do it

In case 1. only is possible .... I just want to know that ...

Thanks again

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 12, 2016

As I already said, you don't need code to add fields.  The document you linked to in your question is a better guide to adding them than I can write, I'd just be repeating it.

But you do need code if you need to rearrange the view screen, beyond ordering the fields in their section

0 votes
Eliya Voldman July 26, 2016
  • Ashlee,
  • Thanks so much  ...
  • I was able today to verify that your instructions worked perfect.. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events