Custom Field on All Screens

I saw a similar post but it was fairly old and not quite what I was looking for. I have a few custom fields that I want on all screens across all projects, including new projects as they get started. How can I do this? 

3 answers

0 votes
Steven Behnke Community Champion Jun 29, 2016

What post were you looking at before?

0 votes
  1. Using the Assign field to screen operation will be a quick, in-product way of assigning a single field to multiple screens quickly. 
    image2016-6-29 13:47:33.png
  2. The Default Screen historically was useful for this case since all new projects were assigned the default screen. This is no longer the case if you use the JIRA core, software, or service desk project templates.
    1. Use the "create project with shared scheme" option
    2. Get an add-on that allows you to dictate project templates
    3. Modify the existing project templates to include your fields in the screens that they create
    4. Add your own project templates
    5. Create a listener to modify screens when a new project is created
    6. Use the REST API to modify screens when a new project is created

Could you elaborate on how to do this with a Listener?

Listeners operate on JIRA via the public JAVA API.

In JIRA 6.2 an event was added called ProjectCreatedEvent. So I would catch that event and then operate on whatever you would like to.

Some related questions – 

How would I go about adding this listener? I have never done any JIRA Dev. I do know some Java so it can't be too hard, but how does it work with Jira? Specifically, how would I do this via the ProjectCreatedEvent listener?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Asked Thursday in Jira Ops

I'm John Allspaw, Ask Me Anything about incident analysis and postmortems

I'm John Allspaw, co-founder of   Adaptive Capacity Labs, where we help teams use their incidents to learn and improve. We bring research-driven methods and approaches to drive effective inciden...

1,940 views 8 7
View question

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you