Creating issues and comments from email

sistemas February 10, 2020

Hi Support,

We need to work jira users whitout jira license.

I have configured a incoming email and a mail handle, but this doesn't work properly.

Can you help me?

Thanks a lot.

1 answer

0 votes
Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2020

So you want an unlicensed user to be able to use jira? Do you see the problem?

2 options.

1: Jira Service Desk. Allows unlimited "Customers" technically they are still licensed. just with a special free license that allows limited jira access. there are lots of caveats to jira service desk though, so make sure you understand what it is.

2: Jira Enterprise Mail Handler. Which can be used to have a "proxy" user create tickets on behalf of an unlicensed user.

FYI, this is not an Official Support Portal. This is a community web site, where you can ask questions and discuss issues with other jira users. If you want atlassian support you have to contact them at bottom of the https://support.atlassian.com/ page where it says "log in to contact support"

Christian Patterer February 24, 2020

Hello!

I think it depends on the actual use case. I agree, if a user needs to work with Jira, then he/she requires a license, no question about that.

However, if you have the use case that you want to create issues from mails, but only a certain team works on these issues, I think it's also a valid / fair use case. The sender of the mail might just be the trigger for an activity and the team wants to organize their work, but the sender might never have the need to work with Jira directly.

For the second one I agree with you, you will need an additional plubin. The standard Jira incoming mail handler does not allow to create issues with a user who has no Jira license.

Regards,
Chris

Suggest an answer