Creating issue shows all projects

David Kam January 24, 2018

I'm running JIRA over the cloud with different end clients having their own projects for issue management.  Currently I've got users assigned to groups and then the groups assigned to project roles.  When a project is created, I am using a project template that is tied to the project roles.

So what is happening...

When an end client clicks on the project listing, they can only see their project.  Entering in another project they don't have access to doesn't show up in the autocomplete and as far as they know, there are no other projects.  So this is working as expected.  However, when they are on the issue creation page/modal, in the project dropdown, they are able to see all other projects.

I've tried fixing this in the Permission scheme, if I remove the project role from the Browse Project permission, the user can't see anything, not even their own project.  I've tried adding an Issue Security Level, but that doesn't seem to affect the project drown down list, only who can see the issue once it is created.

Any advice on where to go?

2 answers

0 votes
maarten huijs August 4, 2020

Is there a solution for this? Jira makes it very hard to work with external clients this way.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 4, 2020

Yes, take away the "create issue" rights in the projects you don't want them to create issues in.

maarten huijs August 4, 2020

Check, that works, Thanks nic!

Elle Chippendale September 10, 2021

How do we get it so that a user can raise an issue, but ONLY for their project. I want them to not be able to see other projects as an option when raising an issue.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 10, 2021

You need to take away their right to create issues in the projects you don't want them to create issues in.

Take a look at their role memberships and the permission schemes in the projects they should not have access to.

Is there a guide on how to do that, maybe with screenshots to help a novice?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 10, 2021

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/manage-project-permissions/ is a good read on this, but it does focus on "creating a new scheme".

It's hard to do screenshots, there are three different views you might see depending on project type and system (more if you want to worry about different server/dc versions), they're time-consuming, I don't have time to do them all (sorry, I'm just a volunteer here) and the docs are usually better than anything I write.

For two of the three project types though, go to the project, hit the "project settings/admin" and look for the "permission scheme", click on that and then open it up the scheme.  You'll find a lot of rows of permissions, one of which is "create issue"

The fields to the right are rules for "who can do this", they'll say things like

Create issue is given to:

• role: developer
  • individuals: Alice, Bob and Charlie,
  • group: adevteam

In this example, obviously Bob can create issues, but you need to stop Bob, so you would need to:

• Check if Bob is in the role of developer in this project, and remove them if they are
  • Edit the permission scheme and remove Bob from the list of individuals
  • Check if Bob is in the group adevteam and remove them if they are

That's worked like a dream thank you!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2018

When a user selects "create issue", it should only offer the projects that they can create issues in. 

You are very close to what you need to do, but you need to look at the permissions for "Create issue", not "Browse project" (although you'll probably need to consider it if you make changes - if, for example, they both say "Role: users", you will need to think about how to separate them)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events