Creating a subtask using the new issue view does not save the subtask issue type correctly

Christi Seip November 11, 2019

In Jira's new issue view, if you are on an Issue page and the issue has subtasks, you can click + to add a new subtask.  When you do, there is a dropdown to select the subtask issue type and a text field for the new subtask description.

When you click Create it takes you to the Create Subtask screen.  The problem is that the Issue Type field does not retain the issue type you selected from the main issue screen. Instead, it is defaulted to the last subtask issue type the user created.

This is leading to people frequently creating subtasks with the wrong issue type.

Is this going to be fixed, or has this already been reported?

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 12, 2019

Hello Christi,

Sorry to hear you are facing this problem.

Per your description, I can clearly understand that the sub-task issue type selected in the parent view is not carried over to the pop-up opened when finishing the sub-task creation.

Indeed, this is a bug with JIRA application that we've already reported to our developers:

Creating Sub-Tasks where create Sub-task screen is required does not preserve selected sub-task type 

Feel free to vote and watch the bug to receive notifications about its fix implementation and possible workarounds.

At this moment, it's possible to work around the problem by removing the required fields from your sub-task create screen, so the pop-up will not appear and the selected issue type would be respected and use the required fields for the next status of the sub-task (With validators). We understand this is not a very useful option, so we're currently working to definitely fix it.

Please, let me know if you have any questions.

Christi Seip November 13, 2019

Perfect - thanks so much for the link (I will vote and watch).  And I appreciate the suggested work-around, but we definitely need to keep our required fields.  So we will eagerly look forward to the fix.

Suggest an answer