Created vs Resolved: Resolved "Status" or Resolved "Resolution?"

Michael Aniskovich November 6, 2015

Hello.

I'm puzzled by something in the Created vs. Resolved report.  And it has to do with uncertainty around which specific metric is being represented by "Resolved."

In my specific example, my Created vs. Resolved report shows 18 issues "Resolved."  I have 13 with a Status of "Closed" and 5 with a Status of "Resolved."  I also have 5 with a Resolution of "Resolved."

Would I be correct in assuming that in the Created vs. Resolved report, the "Resolved" number is the sum of the Status of "Closed" and "Resolved" (13 + 5 = 18), and has nothing to do with the Resolution field?

If that assumption is not correct, then my question becomes:  what specific metrics make up the "Resolved" number in the Created vs. Resolved report?

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2015

JIRA always means "has any resolution" to consider an issue "Resolved" for reports and such. It has nothing to do with status. Even if your issue is Open, even if its resolution value is "Unresolved".

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2015

Beaten to it! The middle sentence is the one that really helps people understand how JIRA thinks - status has nothing to do with the resolution (ok, logically, it does, and most JIRA installs will handle it as you expect. But you have to get the workflow right. There's no logic in JIRA code that ties resolution to status. At all. Nothing)

Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2015

Exactly. Life has gotten way easier as soon as I understood how to use the resolution properly in workflows. It's a growing pain for all JIRA admins I guess.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2015

I still want to bin the concept of resolution=resolved, and go with "meta status" (create a group of status in a workflow and enable the admin to say "if it's in that group, it's done"). But heck, I'm still waiting for priority schemes and decent delegation of admin roles.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events