Copy / Synch parent summary field to linked child custom field

David Sumlin April 24, 2017

Let me first describe my requirement:

I have a parent issue.  (PI-1)  I already have a custom process which creates a bunch of children tasks linked to PI-1.  (CI-1, CI-2, etc).

These children tasks have standardized summary fields.  (Do this, Do that, etc)

When a user searches for his/her tasks, they currently just see a long list of "Do this" tasks.  I want to have a custom field on the child issues which is synched with the Summary field on the Parent issue, so that when they filter for their issues, they see:  "CI-1 | Do This | Parent Task Summary | etc"

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
David Sumlin April 24, 2017

I figured it out using JIRA Automation!  There were a couple of tricky things I had to figure out first.

1. I needed to make sure that it was a Global automation since the linked issues crossed projects.

2. I needed to understand that the replacement value for my field wasn't {{issue.summary}} or something like that, but instead use the smart field of {{fieldChange.toString}}

3. I also needed to make sure that the Automation user had the necessary permissions within the permission schemes used by the different projects

I used the screenshot from section titled Comment on Linked/Related Issues when issue is resolved here: https://codebarrel.io/automation-use-cases

andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2017

Hi David,

Great work!  Would be awesome if you can post a screenshot of your  rule configuration here so that other users can benefit from your solution as well!

Cheers,

Andreas

David Sumlin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 26, 2017

Capture.PNG

David Sumlin
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 26, 2017

The last component was basically synching the Project Title field with Summary on the source issue.  (It's hidden on the source issue)

Suggest an answer