Convert Multi Select to Select List (single choice)

Robert G. Nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 12, 2016

Hi all,

I know that according to the documentation https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/changing-custom-field-types-in-jira-158357.html  that it says that all mutli-select values must have only one choice to convert to single select.

My question is what happens if that is not the case.  I plan to check, and double check that all have a single value; however, if I do happen to miss something I was wondering what are the ramifications?  

Thanks,

Robert

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 12, 2016

You'll get a pile of horrid errors every time you try to do anything with an issue that has more than one entry, as the data is effectively unreadable.

You might be able to edit the issues (as long as you make a single selection in the broken field), and view will probably work, but searching, indexing and probably displaying them in a lot of places won't work.

However, if you do miss a few, and you can't edit them, then you can still try overwriting the data in the database if you're careful.

Robert G. Nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 12, 2016

OK thank you!

Robert G. Nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 6, 2016

Hi @Nic Brough [Adaptavist], 

I did this and the field can still be back door made a multiselect.   If you go into the single select that has been converted from a multiselect, the chooser appears to be only a single select but you can still go in and add multiple values.  The reason may be that this is not a custom field I was doing this to fix and affects versions.    Do you know of any know issues with doing this to the JIRA fields fix and affects versions?

Thanks,

Robert

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 6, 2016

You can't convert versions to another field type.  It sounds like what you've done is hacked the template so that it can only take one value.  Behind the scenes though, versions remain collections of options.  You've just stopped the entry of a collection with more than one item in it.

It won't cause many problems, because the background code is all still working with a collection.  The only issue might be if you've still got many values in some places, you might not be able to edit or display it.

Robert G. Nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 6, 2016

OK thanks, I am going to recommend that we change back to having multi select for those fields.  The reason they wanted it to be single selection is to know which release the issue was originally found in.    I will recommend if they want that information that I create a custom field to store the information and move versions back to multiselect.

Thank you so much,

Robert

Suggest an answer