• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • Confluence page links you create show Failed to load on the issue. However, my application links are correctly configured to use "OAuth (Impersonate)", which on both sides show that they can connect.

Confluence page links you create show Failed to load on the issue. However, my application links are correctly configured to use "OAuth (Impersonate)", which on both sides show that they can connect.

joe burns December 19, 2016

Application links have been configured to use "OAuth (Impersonate)", as recommended.   These links show that they are properly configured and should work.

However, when an issue is mentioned in a Confluence page - the links section of the issue displays :
"Mentioned in Page failed to load".  Clicking the link will take the user to the confluence page, but the title does not display.

From the log:

/rest/viewIssue/1/remoteIssueLink/render/21321 [c.a.j.p.v.issuelink.rest.RemoteIssueLinkResource] Error occurred while generating final HTML for remote issue link: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.io.IOException: Failed to load Confluence Page from remote server Caused by: java.io.IOException: Failed to load Confluence Page from remote server Caused by: com.atlassian.sal.api.net.ResponseException: Status Code: 200, Status Text: OK, Errors: {}, Error Messages: [java.lang.Exception: java.lang.ClassCastException]

11 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
SteveK January 20, 2017

Atlassian support identified this verified JIRA bug yesterday, JRA-63769. I agree with their assessment that this is the cause of the issue, given that the issue appeared after our upgrade from 7.2.3 to 7.2.6.

2 votes
SteveK January 5, 2017

Crept back up again today. Turns out that only a restart of Confluence was required to remedy it. No rebuilding Application Links and no restart of JIRA. I'm sure it will happen again. Looking more and more like a bug. If anyone else reading this is having this problem, please chime in. Thanks!

Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2017

Hi,

we just had the same problem and a confluence restart fixed it. Did anyone created an issue at Atlassian where I could "vote" for it?

Thanks,

Henning

1 vote
joe burns December 29, 2016

I had a ticket open with them, and originally they referenced another bug (One where Confluence page would be unable to return a Blog Entry correctly - this was not my case). 

Also, ensure that Confluence's System Add-on Confluence Remote API (XML-RPC & SOAP) is enabled - at the Add-Ons tab and also in the "Further Configuration" page.  You can pretty easily verify these are enabled.

The best way to identify if that was the same issue you are seeing, check the log from Confluence and see if you are calling the correct get methods from the remote API.  My problem was that the remote API was incorrectly always calling getBlogEntry (when it should've called getPage).  Atlassian believes this may be a yet unidentified bug, but I was able to resolve this myself.

Log entry from Confluence:
2016-12-22 14:58:55,338 INFO [http-nio-8090-exec-46] [confluence.rpc.auth.TokenAuthenticationInvocationHandler] invokeAuthenticatedMethod Executing remote API method [ getBlogEntry ] as user [XXXXXXXXX]
2016-12-22 14:58:55,340 ERROR [http-nio-8090-exec-46] [confluence.rpc.auth.TokenAuthenticationInvocationHandler] invokeAuthenticatedMethod Error during invocation of method [getBlogEntry]
– url: /rpc/xmlrpc | traceId:  | userName: XXXXXXXXXXX | method: getBlogEntry

The log entry above was from Confluence's remote API calling the wrong method to get my results.  The page it should have been referencing here is a "Wiki Page" and not a "Blog Entry".  I was able to test this by linking a blog entry to my issue, and it was successfully displayed - where any other type of Confluence page displayed "failed to load".

The steps I took to resolve:

1) Removed current Application Links between Confluence and JIRA (you will need to be admin on both applications to be able to do this.)
2) Rebuilt Application Links.

3) Disabled then enabled any remote API, Crowd (if you are using Crowd for your authentication), and relevant add-ons from Confluence.
4) Restarted the Confluence and JIRA applications on our server.

Prior to restarting both services, my wiki page links (anything not a blog entry) still showed "page failed to load" instead of their title. After the restarting of services (which did take a few minutes in my case), issue links were properly displayed. 

This represents my personal experience, I should point out, and I can't guarantee results or impact on your application.  Certainly use at your own risk.

SteveK December 29, 2016

Thanks! I'll give those steps a try after COB today and report back.

Good luck, I hope it goes well for you.  This had been a very frustrating issue for us.

SteveK December 29, 2016

It worked. I hope it holds. Thanks for the tip.

0 votes
Brent Webster
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 13, 2017

I'm afraid this issue is back again for Jira 7.4.1 and I'm running with Confluence 6.3.1.  When my application links are setup with Oauth,(Impersonate) and I select 'Linked Pages' on the Sprint backlog board show, it shows link: "Page failed to load" but if I select the link it takes me to the correct Confluence page and with no authentication prompts.  If I switch the Application Links to just Oauth and I select the 'Linked Pages' , a dialog box pops up asking me to authenticate and then asking to Allow/Deny the linkage.  Once I do that, the "Linked Pages" shows the title of the linked Confluence page.  

I have tried disabling JIT optimation yet

0 votes
johan janssen January 19, 2017

I have the same problem in Jira. Using Application links between JIRA en confluence with OAuth (impersonation)

Normally I can see titles of confluence pages which are linked in JIRA issues but after a few days I get broken links in JIRA  and if I restart confluence everything is OK again.

• Confluence 5.9.14
  • JIRA 7.2.4

Log from JIRA:

/srv/jira-data/log/atlassian-jira.log
2017-01-20 08:06:24,715 http-bio-192.168.XX.YY-8443-exec-5061 ERROR XXXXXXXX 486x2537636x3 1biykdi 192.168.AAA.BBB /rest/viewIssue/1/remoteIssueLink/render/21411

[c.a.j.p.v.issuelink.rest.RemoteIssueLinkResource] Error occurred while generating final HTML for remote issue link: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.io.IOException: Failed to load Confluence Page from remote server Caused by: java.io.IOException: Failed to load Confluence Page from remote server Caused by: com.atlassian.sal.api.net.ResponseException: Status Code: 200, StatusText: OK, Errors: {}, Error Messages: [java.lang.Exception: java.lang.ClassCastException]

Log from Confluence:

confluence shows that before restart it processes a getBlogEntry request and after the restart a getPage

before restart: /srv/confluence-data/logs/atlassian-confluence.log

2017-01-20 08:06:24,695 INFO [http-nio-192.168.XX.YY-8443-exec-40] [confluence.rpc.auth.TokenAuthenticationInvocationHandler] invokeAuthenticatedMethod Executing remote API method [ getBlogEntry ] as user [ XXXXXXXX ]

After restart: /srv/confluence-data/logs/atlassian-confluence.log

2017-01-20 08:16:36,808 INFO [http-nio-192.168.XX.YY-8443-exec-12] [confluence.rpc.auth.TokenAuthenticationInvocationHandler] invokeAuthenticatedMethod Executing remote API method [ getPage ] as user [ XXXXXXXX ]

0 votes
joe burns January 18, 2017

Certainly, our support ticket is CSP-192151

I had opened that prior to this post, but Atlassian sort of worked on it.

(knock on wood) We have not had the issue return since I re-linked the applications and restarted them.

0 votes
SteveK January 18, 2017

Still happening. I opened my own support ticket, CSP-193919.

@joe burns, for reference, can you update this thread with your support ticket number?

0 votes

Steve, please see my answer below.  I was able to resolve this problem myself with a few steps.

0 votes
SteveK December 29, 2016

Same thing here. We recently upgraded to JIRA 7.2.6.

/rest/viewIssue/1/remoteIssueLink/render/26228 [c.a.j.p.v.issuelink.rest.RemoteIssueLinkResource] Error occurred while generating final HTML for remote issue link: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.io.IOException: Failed to load Confluence Page from remote server Caused by: java.io.IOException: Failed to load Confluence Page from remote server Caused by: com.atlassian.sal.api.net.ResponseException: Status Code: 200, Status Text: OK, Errors: {}, Error Messages: [java.lang.Exception: java.lang.ClassCastException]

Did Atlassian create a ticket? If so, what's the number?

0 votes
joe burns December 20, 2016

I appreciate your input, I have attempted rebuilding the links between the applications with the same results.

I have a ticket open with Atlassian support, also, about this problem.

It appears to be that Confluence is calling the method "getBlogEntry" to populate the issue links section within my issues.  The expected method would probably be getPage, as the target page is of type PAGE and not BLOG ENTRY. 

Confluence has a known bug with the Blog Entries in issue links, so I have checked both cases and interestingly creating a Blog Entry and linking to my issue correctly displays the information from the blog entry.

Confluence logs show that the remote API is calling this method with my account at the same time I am viewing an issue within JIRA (obviously expected behavior, except the fact that I am calling getBlogEntry erroneously instead of getPage).

0 votes
Volodymyr Krupach
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 19, 2016

ClassCastException on JIRA side. You can try to remove the link and create a new one from JIRA side.

Suggest an answer