Color coding cards based on weeks

samuel_cherry October 29, 2020

Hello, I am trying to color code our Jira cards to change colors based on the dates they are asking for. They are wanting to use the colors as warning indicators for due dates. 

So this is what they are wanting for the card colors GREEN = >3 weeks from deadline, YELLOW = <3 weeks from deadline, and RED = <2 weeks from deadline. Can someone help with how I am supposed to write that our using the JQL?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 30, 2020

Hi Samuel,

I don't use Jira Server (just Cloud) but is there a way to do that in the issue layout from your board settings?

Go to Board Settings > Card Colors

In Cloud we can write JQL to match the color we have selected. 

See if this helps you:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver/customizing-cards-938845307.html#:~:text=You%20can%20base%20your%20card,%2C%20then%20click%20Board%20%3E%20Configure.

samuel_cherry October 30, 2020

Thank you John, I have made it that far on my own. The part where I am stuck at is what do I need to put in the JQL for what timeframe they are looking for?

Right now I have the JQL set as duedate <= end of day () but I don't think it is working the right way. would you happen to know how I can set the JQL for the  card colors GREEN = >3 weeks from deadline, YELLOW = <3 weeks from deadline, and RED = <2 weeks from deadline?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 30, 2020

duedate <= endOfDay(2w) Red

duedate <= endOfDay(3w) Yellow

duedate >startOfDay(3w)   Green

Make sure the colors are in order from top down like above

samuel_cherry October 30, 2020

Thank you for your help John! That seems to be working correctly now.

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 30, 2020

Great! Glad I could help. 

Suggest an answer