Clicking "Create" button for a sub-task does not work

Henry Castellanos December 28, 2016

Designed a custom sub-task.  When clicking on the "Create" button on the sub-task screen, the button flickers but nothing else happens.  The sub-task is not created and the create sub-task screen remains displayed.  Is a view/edit sub-task supposed to be created?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 28, 2016

Yes, a create screen should appear for it.  Check your application logs to see if there's a good reason it's not appearing, and then check it with a different browser.

The sub-task create screen does appear, but when I click "Create" button at the bottom right in the sub-task screen it does nothing...the "Create" button flickers but doesn't add it to the parent task, doesn't give an error message, doesn't close the sub-task create screen.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 28, 2016

Ok, good, it's giving you the dialogue, but then failing.  That strongly implies a failing create process. 

Now, as I said, read the log to see what is going wrong, and also try another browser to see if that has the same problem.

I checked the atlassian-jira.log file and didn't see anything associated with the "Click" issue. Is this there another log I should be viewing?  

When you mentioned the create process are you referring to the workflow create transition?

I also see this message on the sub-task screen: Some issue types are unavailable due to incompatible field configuration and/or workflow associations

but I've read it's a notification that can be ignored.  

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 28, 2016

No, that's the right log.  If there are no errors in there when you are clicking create, then there's nothing wrong with JIRA, and it must be your browser.  Again, could you test that?

I'm not sure how you might think "create" is different to "create"

Yes, it's safe to ignore incompatible field types, it doesn't matter here.

I keep forgetting to mention I tested in Chrome and MS Edge.

I'm also wondering if custom fields could be causing the problem.  I've removed some of the default fields and added custom fields that appear in both the parent task screen and the sub-task screen and there is no problem populating them in both screens.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 28, 2016

Ok, that's another possibility crossed off.

If you're clicking "create" and nothing appears to happen, then there's a problem somewhere, but there's no way to know what it is from the front end.  JIRA will be writing the error to your logs, so you really need to look in there.

Henry Castellanos December 29, 2016

Found out what was the issue.  The sub-task screen contained custom fields with the default fields removed, including the Summary and Reporter fields.  Once they were added the sub-task would save.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 29, 2016

Ah, so there's a problem somewhere that's hiding the "summary is required" message you should be seeing on the front-end!

Looks that way, I'll have to find out why.

Thanks for your help.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 29, 2016

Sorry I wasn't able to get there first!  I would expect an error about the summary being required on-screen or in the logs.  Nicely spotted!  My initial guess would be a javascript/popup problem.

Thanks for the tip, I'll start there.

Suggest an answer