Chinese characters from Outlook render incorrectly

Dan Klisiewicz January 5, 2017

Hi!

I am trying to create an issue with chinese characters via a mail handler.  When I send the email via gmail, all characters render correctly.  If I send from Outlook 2013, I get spotty incorrect characters that look like this: 

市科�W

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Volodymyr Krupach
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2017

Please make sure that you send emails in UTF-8: http://smallbusiness.chron.com/setting-outlook-use-utf8-32242.html

Dan Klisiewicz January 6, 2017

Thanks for your reply on this.  I should have mentioned that I monitored the incoming mail server to see if characters were rendering correctly when received, before they were pulled by Jira.  The email showed no issues.  I also tried what you suggested and I am still seeing the same problem.

Volodymyr Krupach
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2017
Dan Klisiewicz January 9, 2017

By comparing the headers, I was able to find a difference in the content type.  After a little bit of research I found that enabling Rich Text formatting in outlook fixes the issue.  Thanks for your help

Volodymyr Krupach
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 9, 2017

Good to know that you resolved this!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events