Changing Crowd password in Jira

Jacob Newsted February 3, 2016

Hi all,

I set up a server with JIRA, Confluence and then Crowd to administrate the users. I am having issues with changing passwords though. I want the users to be able to change passwords in JIRA or Confluence and then see the changes reflected in Crowd so that they never actually have to go to the Crowd site. Currently there is no "Change Password" button in the user profiles. I tried changing permissions in the Application tab of Crowd but no luck on resolving the issue. Am I missing something obvious or is this a more complex issue. Thanks in advance!

Jacob

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
viktorokolot
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2016

Hi @Jacob Newsted

In Jjira User Directories change Configure Atlassian Crowd Server -> Crowd Permissions
from Read Only on Read/Write

and check Application crowd internal Directory -> Permissions in your Crowd - see Modify User

Jacob Newsted February 4, 2016

Thanks! This is exactly what I wanted.

Darryl Lee May 24, 2018

This didn't work for us (JIRA 7.6.1, Crowd 3.1.1). Would be interested if it actually is still working (or ever worked) for you, @Jacob Newsted1.

0 votes
LL February 3, 2016

As far as i know, once you've set up Crowd to control user accounts for JIRA and Confluence, you must manage them through Crowd. You can no longer change the password through the other two applications.

This works the same way with groups. If you're managing user groups through Crowd, then you can not add/remove users within those groups through any other application except for Crowd.

Suggest an answer