Change in user directory causes double persons in Insight

Joachim Bollen [ACA IT] October 25, 2017

Hello,

We recently added a new User directory to our Jira instance, to replace an obsolete User directory. All users are the same in both directories, but now we noticed that in Insight, new users (People) are created. All assets that were linked to the old users, remain there, but the old users are no longer active.

The new user is active, but doesn't have any assets.

We would like to know if there is a possibility to merge these old users into the new users so we don't have duplicates in our insight schema.

Can somebody tell me how we could merge all these duplicate users?

2 answers

0 votes
Alexander Sundström
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2017

Hi Joachim,

One thing I noticed is that we use the username rather than userkey (at least in Insight 5.x, I think that it is the same in 4.x, meaning that the username has to be the same.

I think the best approach would be upgrading to version 5.x of Insight, as the imports has been improved a lot, making them easier to set up.

This way, it's easier to map the imports correctly etc. 

For more information before an update, I would look at the following release notes, as 5.x includes some braking changes to the API, if groovy scripts are used.

https://documentation.riada.se/insight/latest/release-notes/insight-5-0-release-notes

https://documentation.riada.se/insight/latest/release-notes/insight-5-1-release-notes

I would also look at the information about the new import concept at https://documentation.riada.se/insight/latest/insight-manager-s-guide/import-and-synchronization/general-import-concepts

But using this, you should be able to map using the username, and update the objects instead of creating new ones, as long as the username is the same, and that the duplicate objects has been removed.

Best Regards
Alexander

0 votes
Alexander Sundström
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 27, 2017

Yes the objects can be merged, and what we use to find identical objects is the user key. So could you verify if they are the same?

Best Regards
Alexander

Joachim Bollen [ACA IT] November 2, 2017

Hi Alexander,

Yes they are the same. Could you tell me how to do this? I can't find a way in the GUI to achieve this.

Joachim Bollen [ACA IT] November 10, 2017

@Alexander Sundström, Could you help us out? It's really frustrating to do these one by one, so we would be very happy with an automated solution.

Alexander Sundström
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 10, 2017

Hi Joachim,

Well, the objects as such in Insight can't be merged, what I mean is that if you set up the import correctly, it should map to the "old" object, and not the new one, ie. correct information and linked assets.

What version of Insight are you using?

Joachim Bollen [ACA IT] November 10, 2017

Hi Alexander,

We're using version 4.9.10. It is correct that the assets are linked to the old objects, but the persons logging in are the new objects, so they don't see any assets linked to their account.

How can we fix this?

Suggest an answer