Cannot reset/recover admin password

James Shablow March 23, 2018

I have followed the steps laid out in the documentation laid out by Altassian here, but the steps do not work.

When trying to follow the steps, the output indicates that cwd* doesn't exist.

I have a database set up, and can access the login page, but I cannot log in because the email password reset did not send an email.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2018

If the cwd tables don't exist, then there's no way you would get as far as a login page.

I suspect your database is case sensitive, or you're looking in the wrong one.

Thank you for the reply.

That's the thing. We have not had any problems before, and the email recovery worked until we moved locations.

The person that set it up no longer with us, but it is entirely possible that he set it up in an unconventional way. If it is any help, I am using 4.0.2 if that helps.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2018

Oh, I hadn't realised you're on such an old one.  That's pre-crowd, so I'm not surprised there's no CWD tables now. 

Try this instead:

update userbase set password_hash='uQieO/1CGMUIXXftw3ynrsaYLShI+GTcPS4LdUGWbIusFvHPfUzD7CZvms6yMMvA8I7FViHVEqr6Mj4pCLKAFQ==' where username='XXXX';

Then log in using the password sphere

Thank you. The computer hosting the server is in other hands right now, but we will try that when able. 

Is there documentation that explained this process, or are you just that good?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 23, 2018

I'm that good.  ;-)

No, not in the slightest really.  I just have accumulated notes.  Resetting a password the hard way is something I've done a lot, so I've noted the salt and hash for "sphere" in several places.

I tried the suggestion you had using mysql, and the terminal indicated that there was a change and no warnings. However, when trying to log in, I was prompted with an error saying that the "username and password are incorrect".

Any suggestions?

James Shablow March 26, 2018

The server was restarted again over the weekend, and the password "sphere" then worked. Thank you for the help!

0 votes
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 23, 2018

Hi James,

that is an old guide referring to JIRA 5.2. For the recent JIRA versions you can try the following approach https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/retrieving-the-jira-administrator-192836.html

Hope this helps,

Fabio

That is the first page I found. I am using JIRA 4.0.2. Thank you though.

Suggest an answer