Cannot remove user from jira-users group

Hi Everyone,

there is a v6.2.6 JIRA and we cannot remove several users from jira-users group. The users are inactive by the way. Why is that?

Cheers,
Rumi

2 answers

How are you removing them? Are you seeing any errors when you remove them? Can you provide screenshots?

Rumcelsz, When you try to remove users, first of all you may want to not remove them, but deactivate them, and remove them from any group. That way you can keep their information in case they need to be reactivated. Do you get a RED box that says they belong to the project lead role in the XXX project. If so you have to go to that project and replace them in whatever role they are assigned. Then you can return and remove or deactivate them.

Hi John,

thanks for the fast reply!

The users are already inactive but they count against the JIRA license. We have a 10 users license and we reached the top. I didn't want to delete them. Yes, when I wanted to delete the users the red box appear because they are either reporters or assignee of issues. But why cannot remove them from jira-users group?

Explain/expound the phrase "why cannot remove them"

Hi Gabrielle,

I click on the Groups next to the user, then click 'jira-users' in the remove from section, then it seems that it was done (no error message) and when I get back to the users section, the user is still member of 'jira-users'.

Ooh, I've seen that happen before a few times.  It's silently failing to remove them from the group. 

In my cases, it was different causes, and I had to read the log file to see what was going wrong.  (As usual, tail -f the log file while clicking the "delete" in another window)

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Sunday in Agility

You asked for it, so we delivered: images on issues have arrived

A picture tells a thousand words. And agility boards have just released their latest feature: cover images on issues – so now your board can tell a story at first glance. Upload attachmen...

281 views 3 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you