Cannot drag issue to certain columns on board

Esther Strom September 28, 2016

I've created a very simple workflow for one of our project teams:

rs_workflow.png

They use the agile boards, so we have a board configured with statuses mapped like this:

rs_board_setup.png

I've run into something strange, and I'm not sure if it's a setup issue or a bug; we're pretty new to using the boards. If I have an issue with a status of Backlog, it shows up in the To Do column of the board. The strange thing is, I can't drag it to the In Progress column, but I can drag it to Code Review or Done, completely bypassing In Progress (the workflow itself does not allow this; when using the workflow on the issue itself, you must go through In Progress to get to In Code Review, and then from there to Closed.)

rs_board.png

Where am I going wrong with this setup? I did see this response, but the workflow has no conditions or validators on any of the transitions, and I'm able to transition an issue from directly within the issue using the workflow buttons. 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Deleted user September 28, 2016

The workflow is hard to read, you probably should spread it out a little, but...

I can see that you have the backlog and todo status both in the 1st column, so you can not drag the backlog status to the todo status - you would have to open the full screen for an issue and use a button to advance it.

My guess is a backlog status has no direct flow to In Progress and needs to go though the to do status first. It also appears you have an additional workflow involved as the new, reopened and review statuses are not shown in the flow you attached. Depending on which workflow the issue is using, you may need to make some adjustments.

Suggestion: add another column for the new and backlog statuses and make sure you have transitions in place to go to 'To Do'

Esther Strom September 28, 2016

OK, that makes sense. Thanks.

0 votes
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2017

In addition to the excellent comments from @[deleted] I would also suggest you look at two other types of transition on your workflow.

1. Reuse a single transition from multiple statuses

2. Use the ALL transition to a single status

I would certainly also spread out your workflow diagram to make it easier to look at. Remember that your users may have permission to view a read-only version and it will help them understand the routes through the workflow too.

Ramanathan Yegyanarayanan November 27, 2018

As far as i understand from the issue the problem is with the transition status.

Felex Kabagambe January 31, 2023

I have the same issue as am unable to drag and drop the tasks from in progress to new created column(QA). Any help on editing my workflow transition please?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events