Can you stop a user from clearing assignee while a ticket is "in progress"?

Paul Mayeur March 15, 2016

Is it possible, that once a ticket has been moved to in progress and assigned you can not change clear the assignee. You can change it to someone else, but it can never be empty while in progress. Is that possible? Maybe if empty goes back to backlog.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 15, 2016

Joe's disallow unassigned issues is the easiest and probably best answer, but you could also

• make it mandatory in the field config if you want to allow unassigned issues elsewhere
  • put validators on the workflow, so that it can't have its status changed while the assignee is empty
  • use a workflow property to disallow assign issues permission while it's in that status
  • write a listener that picks up "assignee blanked out" and issue the transition back to the backlog
  • write a listener that picks up "assignee blanked out" and puts back the previous assignee (annoying for the user, I'm not sure I'd ever recommend this, but the point is "listener catches it and does something")

Yeah, I think listener is how I would do it.

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 15, 2016

By clearing, I presume you mean setting it to unassigned. You need to setup JIRA not to allow unassigned issues and that will solve the problem. From my experience unassigned issues aren't worked because they don't appear in the assigned to me display.

But I do want to allow unassigned issues for the backlog. Would this stop that?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 15, 2016

Yes - all issues would have to have an assignee at all times.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events