Can you add the Checklists fields to Subtasks?

Chris May 17, 2016

I understand that this plugin is to replace the need for sub-tasks. However I have some sub-tasks that I would like to essentially add another level to and this checklist plugin would be ideal.

3 answers

0 votes
Yves Riel [Okapya]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 17, 2016

Hi Chris,

Like @Nic Brough [Adaptavist] mentioned, Checklist is simply a customfield and as such you should be able to add it to a subtask.

Yves

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2016

Checklists are not there to "replace subtasks" - a checklist is a list of things to tick off.  A sub-task is a piece of work that helps you break down an issue so that it can be assigned to different people and/or represented as a discrete chunk of effort.  There are cases where people use subtasks as though they are a checklist of course.

Think of a holiday - contents of your suitcase would be best handled with a checklist, but they're useless for the book taxi, flights, hotel etc, when those are to be done by different people - that's clearly subtasks.

Anyway, the checklist fields are just fields, like any other custom field in JIRA - you can therefore use them on any issue type, and you do it the same way - add the fields, put them on screens.

To go back to the holiday analogy - you might have a subtask for each person going of "pack".  And each of those includes a checklist of things to remind them to include.

0 votes
Florence Kistner May 17, 2016

Hi Chris:  There is an add-on that cost $75 – I have never used it but it is available to you.  Hope this is helpful.

(24)
1,501 installations
$75

Checklist allows you to simplify your workflow via the creations of To Do lists directly in a JIRA issue. With its built-in statuses, Checklist saves you from the complexity of using sub-tasks to track what is important to you and your business.

Suggest an answer