Can't login after database restored

Rene Kolb May 23, 2018

Hello dears,

i'm running on old JIRA version 5.2.1. (don't ask for reason, it's  historical issue), after a filesystem crash all the application data (jira core system) is gone.

so, i desided to download the very same version from atlassian download center and installed it.  i created a database and restored data from backup. my new jira (5.2.1) is running, but i can't log in. 

is there a way, how to argue this old jira version to accept original credentials, so we can log in and continue solving issues? neither me (admin) or other users  can't log in.

any advice would be appreciated

thanks a lot

regards

Rene

3 answers

0 votes
Rene Kolb May 24, 2018

gentlemen,

thank you for your response.

I followed the links and studied the documentation - to find out that I made the recovery of the database from wrong backup(!).

Your suggestions forced me to study for more tables (i.e. jiraissues) that finally brought me to the cause of my problem.

After restoring data from the correct backups (and after a lot of further hours spent restoring attachments from lost+found) I have a functional again the original instance of jira 5.2.1 with the original data, all users are able to log in. 

thanks for the time you spent with my issue.

Rene

joshloe
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 24, 2018

Rene,

I am glad that you were able to get back in!  This is off subject, but whatever it is that is preventing you from upgrading to the latest JIRA I highly recommend resolving.  If you need help with planning or questions about upgrading, please feel free to reach out to our support engineers.   

- Josh Loe

Rene Kolb May 24, 2018

Thank you for your recommendations, Joh,  I repeatedly pondered about upgrade, but to my knowledge, this is the very complex, time-consuming process, which discouraged me from such actions. Is there a simple process to upgrade from such an old version to the latest nowadays? It would be wonderful, and I would certainly consider such an alternative ...

thanks for your reply

Rene

joshloe
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 25, 2018

Rene,

Upgrading from such an older version is definitely harder than upgrading from a recent release, even 6x to 7.   

What you'll need to do is upgrade it to 6.4 first, following the docs at https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira064/upgrading-jira-720411839.html

Then upgrade from 6.4 to 7.latest following https://confluence.atlassian.com/migration/jira-7

One thing you might consider, is hiring an Atlassian Expert to do the upgrade for you.   This would be the best hands off way and they're very well versed in the upgrade process.

Thanks,

Josh Loe

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
May 23, 2018

There is a way to recover this, please see the documentation https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA052/Retrieving+the+JIRA+Administrator

Please note that the steps for this version of Jira are much different than the current steps for Jira versions 6.2.1 and higher listed in https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/retrieving-the-jira-administrator-192836.html

For both sets of documentation you are going to need to access the SQL database and run a few select queries in order to first understand what groups have admin permissions, and then which users exist in that group.  From there the document explains SQL commands you can take in order to reset the password of an admin level Jira account.  If you cannot find any admin users in your instance, it can also provide you steps to create one via SQL.

I hope this helps, please let us know if you run into problems with this.

Regards,

Andy

0 votes
joshloe
Atlassian Team
May 23, 2018

Rene,

This is tricky because of the version and unknown issues with the restore.  Have you tried to retrieve the JIRA administrator password to login?  See Retrieving the JIRA Administrator Password for details on how to do this through the database. 

Hopefully that will at least get you in so that you can reset the other users passwords.  

- Josh Loe

Suggest an answer