• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Can't get the Initiative Item Type working

I have Jira with the Portfolio product added. 

I'm trying to use Initiatives to provide a way to link multiple Epics in a Program Management-type scenario. My understand is that this is the kind of this Initiatives are intended cover (Epic "App onboarding App1" is part of the Initiative "Onboard All the Apps", for example). 

I've looked at several pages about custom hierarchies, but I can't seem to get the connection between adding the issue type, and getting the field to show up for items in the Epic's form, so I can tie them to the Initiative.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfoliocloud/how-to-create-a-new-hierarchy-level-in-portfolio-for-jira-941618926.html

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfoliocloud/showing-portfolio-custom-fields-in-jira-software-856708725.html

Those two pages seem like they are in the neighborhood of what I want, but I may be too dense to follow what they are saying.

Thanks in advance!

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Veera Atlassian Team Mar 27, 2018

Hi Brian,

Let me explain it to you with simple steps.

• Create a new issue type called Initiative in JIRA admin ViewIssueTypes page. This should be of Standard type, but not sub-task type.
  • Associate Initiative to all the projects you want to include in the Portfolio.
  • Now go to Portfolio Hierarchy Config page, click on 'Create Level'
  • Choose 'Initiative' as the Level Name, and select Initiative from the dropdown list under JIRA Issue Types column.

Here is the screenshot how I defined the hierarchy in my instance. Best practice is to have only Initiate on top of Epic issue type so that Initiative can be marked as parent for multiple Epics.

Hierarchy.png

Hope it's clear. Please let me know otherwise.

Veera,

Thank you for you very clear and detailed answer! I have done what you indicated, and the Initiative shows up in the Hierarchy Config screen, and I have associated it with a project. How do I now associate an Epic with an Initiative? There doesn't seem to be a field showing up in the Epic screen (creation or edit) that allows me to identify an Initiative to associate it with (similar to the way I can associate an Story with an Epic). Any idea what I'm missing?

thanks!

You're supposed to add "Parent Link" field to your Screen. This works in data center, but when I added in Cloud to says I need to log in :(

Is there any way to do this within the Next Gen projects?

Thank you

I also have the same question as Michael Ryan? It seems that the highest level ticket available in NG projects is EPIC. I don't see an option to add Initiatives to it

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Marketplace Apps & Integrations

Bitbucket Smart Commits vs. Genius Commits - What's the difference?

If you already heard about Smart Commits in Bitbucket, know that you just stumbled upon something even better (and smarter!): Genius Commits by Better DevOps Automation for Jira Data Center (+ Server...

106 views 0 2
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you