Can I have multiple link synchronizers for 1 project structure

JanaW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2016

I have a project that uses many link types. Each issue type linking to the story is using a different "link type". I want to see all of the project stories with all the issues linking to each story regardless of the link type OR I could also go the route of only use link synchronizers for link types of "investigates", Investigated by; and resolved by

project=AAS (action item issue type)

Link Types:

Defects - use Investigates

Problems - use Investigated by

Stories - use resolved by 

Feature-uses resolved by

I think what I need are 1 Filter Synchronizer and 3 different Link synchronizers right? Help:)

Using Structure 3.0

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Eugene Sokhransky _ALM Works_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 8, 2016

Hello Jana,

There are several important questions here

1. Are you using Structure 3.x?

If so - there is also one more option - generators, but they work differently from synchronisers, so it leads to the second question:

2. Will you need to move issues in the structure or do you build it for visualisation purposes?

3. You have Features resolved by Stories - do you still want to have them under Stories and not above? Also are you using JIRA Agile Epics as well, or only Features?

Synchronisers will definitely work - you will need to add a Filter Synchronizer for Stories only (make sure you do NOT select the remove option) and then links synchronisers - one for every issue type with the correct Parent and Child JQL Filters configured. This is very IMPORTANT! Otherwise they'll start reacting to each other and will update the links incorrectly. 

One will be for Investigates and have Parent Filter: "Type = Story" and Child Filter: "type = defect".

The next one will be Parent: "type = story" and Child: "type = problem".

Etc.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Eugene (ALM Works)

1 vote
Eugene Sokhransky _ALM Works_
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 8, 2016

Sorry - missed your comment mentioning that you are using Structure 3.0.

In this case I'd recommend upgrading to the latest version as it contains quite a few improvements, and I would consider trying Generators. They are a much safer way to build dynamic structures and there is no risk of losing links even if you confide them incorrectly.

In your case you need to add one JQL Inserter, which will pull in stories and then several Link Extenders - one per link type.

The tricky part here is that you need to add extenders for same link types, but different direction, which may result in loops unless you set the limit to the levels.

This is really easy to do - just make sure that you set Current Level in the levels option for every extender that you add.

0 votes
JanaW
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 20, 2016

I got it to work using generators in our dev environment, but the automation menu is dithered in my production environment. How do I activate it so that I can use generators. I have looked and all the permissions are the same betweeen dev and prod as well as the projects activated to allow use of structure. What am I missing?

Suggest an answer