Can I create two different workflows for the same project? One Kanban board, one Scrum

Audrey Bay April 7, 2016

We use one board per product line with multiple teams using the same board. Currently everyone is on Scrum with the simplified workflow. One team is moving to Kanban so we will be creating that board for them. We will need a more complicated workflow for the Kanban team, but I don't want it to screw up the other teams using Scrum. Is there a way to do this without creating a new issue type for the Kanban team?

2 answers

3 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2016

There are two basic approaches

1.  Your initial suggestion - have a new issue type for the Kanban work, or even move it out into a separate project   (and expand the board filters to include it).  Then you can give the new issue types, or issues in the new project, a totally different workflow.  Of course, you'll also need to map any new status on the boards too.
  2. One workflow which implements all the possibilities of both workflows - I won't repeat what Jeremy already said on that

There is a factor that you need to think about though.  Both approaches require you to stop using simplified workflows for the board. 

1. If you take the first approach, then you are adding a structured workflow to the board, and that means you can't simplify it because you've got two workflows.  You can carry on using the the workflow that was generated by Software for all the Scrum issues, but it's not simplified any more, so your board owners will not be able to change it any more
  2. If you take the second approach, you can't use simplified workflow because you need to put conditions and maybe validators on the workflow to do it.  Initially, they will work, but your board owners can easily remove them by changing the workflow, even in minor ways.  The only way to make them work is to de-simplify the workflow so that they can't break it.

Deleted user April 8, 2016

Nothing wrong with not using the simplified workflow in my book...

Just saying.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 8, 2016

I'm with you on that.  Simplified workflows are great for teams who do "agile" well, and don't need a structured workflow.  But as soon as you need a controlled process or two different ones in the same team... nope, back to proper workflows.

1 vote
Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2016

You can use one workflow, and use conditions on group membership to determine which transitions are available to which people.  It would be complicated, but workable, as long as there is no intersection in group membership. Or you could just give each issue a custom field to designate if it was Scrum or Kanban, and make the condition based on the value of that field, or some other determinator like Component, etc.

Suggest an answer