Can I create multiple boards for a project (one per workstream / team) and unique reports per board?

Amy Wilkinson July 29, 2019

We are looking at creating multiple boards for one project (so that multiple teams can work off of one common backlog).  I created a test project and created two boards for that project.  I then started a sprint for ONE of the boards and completed it.  When I go to look at reports for the project (example: velocity report or burndown chart), I am able to select a particular board.  However, the report does not appear to be board specific.  I get the same burn down chart and velocity report for both boards.  It seems to be reporting for the project, regardless of which board is selected.  Is this by design?  Does this mean we can not have separate reports for each board (i.e. team in this case)?  If so, any advice on how best to handle this situation?  We want the teams to work off of one backlog, but we want to be able to track the velocity, burn down, etc. for each.

2 answers

0 votes
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 30, 2019

Hi @Amy Wilkinson 

Yes you can achieve this quite easily - we do so quite regularly.

What you need is a field to distinguish one board from the others - we typically use component or labels, although you could use epics as well. Let's assume you will use component, the method would be the same for the others.

Create unique components for each team (can be as simple as team1, team2 ...), then each ticket should have only 1 component. The board for team1 will have 

AND component=team1

in it's board filter, so it won't show tickets from other teams.

As @Sreenivasaraju P said above, enable the parallel sprints and each team will have their own board, sprint and reports.

0 votes
Sreenivasaraju P
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2019

Hi @Amy Wilkinson ,

The concept of common backlog is creating issue. With the common backlog concept, same issue will reflect in multiple boards. so it will create problem.

Ideally each ticket should reflect in single board only. Your queries for boards should make sure this.

If you want multiple teams to work ,you can try parallel sprint concept. It means same board but different sprints.

I hope this will help you

Suggest an answer