Can I calculate the capacity of future sprints in JIRA? Edited

This will help me plan my future sprints considering the holidays and planned vacations. I have used TFS and it has that feature. Can it be done in JIRA itself without using the external add-ons or plugins?

1 answer

0 vote

Hey Amit, 

In general you can forecast how much capacity you have for a future sprint base don how quickly you are completing work in previous sprints.

To get a good sense of how much work you completed in previous sprints, you can take a look at the reporting functionality that is given by default in JIRA Software. Probably the best report to see how much work you've done in the past is the velocity chart. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver075/velocity-chart-935562730.html

If you want more detailed planning around planned vacations and holidays, I'd recommend taking a look at JIRA portfolio.

Thanks Kian for the quick response. 

Looking at the velocity, I would get a sense of capacity in general, however it will not be conclusive of variables like holidays and/or vacations. 

I do use the functionality of Teams and assigning the capacity at teams in Portfolio, however it is static and I will have to adjust it every sprint based on the planned vacations of the team members and scheduled holidays. It doesn't feel very efficient.

On my previous project with a different client, I was working in SAFe framework and for the purpose of PI planning (for 6 - 7 sprints), we had to have the visibility at the capacity of the team to forecast and plan better.

We used a spreadsheet with Macro's to calculate the capacity of a team for each sprint by recording the common holidays and planned vacation of the individual team members. And we used TFS.

During my research, I have come across some add-on/plugins in the Atlassian Marketplace which fulfills my requirement of capacity planning, however they are paid products and my organization may not invest in them unless proven useful, which might take time. Hence I am trying to explore the inbuilt capability of JIRA, if there is any.

Hey Amit, 

I'm afraid that I might not be of much more help if you've already explored those avenues! I don't think JIRA has what you are looking for as built in functionality. 

Thanks, 

Kian

Appreciate you honest response, Kian!

I would still keep the question open, just to see if anyone else has a different perspective about it.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

119 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you