CSV Import

Corinna Führing January 5, 2016

Hello if i am preparing a CSV import file. Will I have to set my Summary text for each Issue in "" ? Otherwise it will not get copied as text into my JIRA ?

3 answers

1 vote
Mike Friedrich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2016

There is no difference between new and updated issues in the handling of the text. You need to use quotes if the CSV format requires you to,

See here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/importing-data-from-csv-185729516.html#ImportingDatafromCSV-PreparingyourCSVfile

Update:
Regarding updating issues: In that case the CSV-file must contain the JIRA-Issue-Id column; keeping an empty string in Summary as "" cause the importer to wipe the existing text in the corresponding JIRA issue.

0 votes
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2016

You only need to wrap in "" if the content could contain a comma.

0 votes
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2016

If you are using the CSV import file to create new issues then you need to put the correct text in the column for Summary. If however, you are using the CSV import file to update fields other than the summary then you should leave the summary empty.

Quote from Atlassian documentation on updating.

warning Importing a CSV to update existing issues will reset columns to their default values if they are not specified in the CSV.

Corinna Führing January 5, 2016

how do i have to name the Parent ID in my header row ? I wonder since this is not the field name for "Mother Issues" in Jira. There this field is just named Key. So do i have to name it key in the header row ?

Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 5, 2016

You only need to include Parent ID if you are creating subtasks and this is where you would put the key of the issue which this is to be a subtask of.

Suggest an answer