CAPTCHA issue while loggin in jira.atlassian.com with REST API

Bhavik Kawli June 12, 2016

Hi,

I am trying to access jira.atlassian.com with REST API using cookie based authentication, and few of my earlier login attempts failed. Now i am continuously getting below in the response

Headers:

X-Authentication-Denied-Reason → CAPTCHA_CHALLENGE; login-url=https://jira.atlassian.com/login.jsp

X-Seraph-LoginReason → AUTHENTICATION_DENIED

Body:

{
"errorMessages": [
"Login denied"
],
"errors": {}
}

Can anyone please tell me how should i reset this on my account. I tried logging out, then clearing the cookies and relogging in to my account, but while logging in, i donot get any captcha screen while logging in from browser and am able to login to my account from the browser.

4 answers

0 votes
Petar Petrov (Appfire)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2016

I get the same behavior and I have not had a failed login. I think that for this particular instance only authentication through id.atlassian.com is allowed. Basic authentication yields the same results.

By the way, most of the resources there are accessible for anonymous users - do you need to specifically target jira.atlassian.com?

0 votes
Clemens Robbenhaar June 12, 2016

When you login via browser, you log in via id.atlassian.com, not directly to JIRA. Maybe this prevents to reset the "failed login" counter in jira.atlassian.com, so you would need to contact a JIRA admin at Atlassian to clear the "failed login" counter for your account.

0 votes
Bhavik Kawli June 12, 2016

Hi,

I am trying to do it with HttpsURLConnection in java, and also tried with Postman extension from chrome.

I am not sending any cookies. I am trying to access below url with the details as follows:

URL: https://jira.atlassian.com/rest/auth/1/session

Headers: Content-Type: application/json

Body: { "username": "<account id mentioned on id.atlassian.com services", "password": "<password>" }

Getting 403 response

0 votes
Petar Petrov (Appfire)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2016

What REST client are you using (standalone or some client library)? Are you sure the cookie is still valid? 

Suggest an answer