CAPTCHA issue while loggin in jira.atlassian.com with REST API

Hi,

I am trying to access jira.atlassian.com with REST API using cookie based authentication, and few of my earlier login attempts failed. Now i am continuously getting below in the response

Headers:

X-Authentication-Denied-Reason → CAPTCHA_CHALLENGE; login-url=https://jira.atlassian.com/login.jsp

X-Seraph-LoginReason → AUTHENTICATION_DENIED

Body:

{
"errorMessages": [
"Login denied"
],
"errors": {}
}

Can anyone please tell me how should i reset this on my account. I tried logging out, then clearing the cookies and relogging in to my account, but while logging in, i donot get any captcha screen while logging in from browser and am able to login to my account from the browser.

4 answers

What REST client are you using (standalone or some client library)? Are you sure the cookie is still valid? 

Hi,

I am trying to do it with HttpsURLConnection in java, and also tried with Postman extension from chrome.

I am not sending any cookies. I am trying to access below url with the details as follows:

URL: https://jira.atlassian.com/rest/auth/1/session

Headers: Content-Type: application/json

Body: { "username": "<account id mentioned on id.atlassian.com services", "password": "<password>" }

Getting 403 response

When you login via browser, you log in via id.atlassian.com, not directly to JIRA. Maybe this prevents to reset the "failed login" counter in jira.atlassian.com, so you would need to contact a JIRA admin at Atlassian to clear the "failed login" counter for your account.

I get the same behavior and I have not had a failed login. I think that for this particular instance only authentication through id.atlassian.com is allowed. Basic authentication yields the same results.

By the way, most of the resources there are accessible for anonymous users - do you need to specifically target jira.atlassian.com?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Asked Thursday in Jira Ops

I'm John Allspaw, Ask Me Anything about incident analysis and postmortems

I'm John Allspaw, co-founder of   Adaptive Capacity Labs, where we help teams use their incidents to learn and improve. We bring research-driven methods and approaches to drive effective inciden...

4,338 views 20 13
View question

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you