Automated work flow

Ahmad Salama February 29, 2016

I have designed a work flow that contains many steps: How could i assign different users to each step in order to get automated issue tracking for example:

Issue 1

First assigned to User 1 then User 1 flag it as Done, so it will be assigned directly to user 2 and this go through user 3 and 4 till reach finally to User 5 then it come up to me.

4 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 29, 2016

The most straightforward way is to use post-functions to change the assignee as the status changes.

You'll need to think about

• how you decide who to assign it to
  • you'll probably need add-ons such as the JIRA Suite Utilities to do the assignee changes
  • a simple way to do it would be to have fields for "next assignee for status X", "next assignee for status Y", etc which you copy into assignee
  • might need something more complex, like the script runner, if you have complicated "who" logic
  • think about email - as this method will not send "issue assigned" events

0 votes
Hung Nguyen March 1, 2016

Adding into what Nic and Mario have said here, I am thinking about how the user for each step can be defined without hard-coding into the post-function of the step.

I'm not sure if JIRA has any other field than Components that allows mapping a value to a user so that we can use in this situation.

So I believe if you haven't used Components as yet, you can add value representing each step into Components, along with a user (to be Component lead). Then in the post function of each step, you can just need to set the Component to the corresponding step and Assignee = Automatic. JIRA will assign the Assignee to the corresponding Component Lead you have defined..

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 1, 2016

Remember, if you are assigning to users you will need to update the workflow when (and it will happen) they leave the company or assignment they currently have. A safer way would be to create project roles and assign just the one person to the role and then assign the issue to that role. See https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/240849

0 votes
Ahmad Salama February 29, 2016

I get to my Work FLow / Post function and i did not find anything about assign user to transition, i found only 

Set issue status to the linked status of the destination workflow step.

Add a comment to an issue if one is entered during a transition.

Update change history for an issue and store the issue in the database.

Re-index an issue to keep indexes in sync with the database.

Fire a Generic Event event that can be processed by the listeners.

Mario Günter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 29, 2016

Hi Ahmed, as Nic mentioned you could try to install JIRA Suite Utilities Plugin to your instance. It offers much more post functionality.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 29, 2016

That's the current list of post-functions on the transition.  Edit the workflow, go to the transition and click "add".  You'll find you can add things like "set field". 

But you'll probably want something more complex than "set assignee to fixed person", and as Mario says, the JSU adds a load of options to the list of post-functions you could add.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events