Automate Creation of Sub-Tasks based on Task Table column

Laxman Prasad Kuppili August 10, 2020

Hi Team,

Please help me with the precise information to address my concern given below.

I have a Parent task that has a table with Module names and Module Owners as columns. The moment I click Save button on the description, I'd wish to trigger automation of Sub-Tasks creation as follows:

1. Title with Module Name

2. Assignee with the Module owner.

3. Copy the Reviewer/ Due Date

While the above is the minimal requirement. I'd like to understand how can this be achieved using Automation or any APIs/Services that JIRA has in its kitty.

Please help me.

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 10, 2020

Hi Laxman,

I am not sure I completely understand what you are trying to do, but I will give it an initial shot.

Create an Automation For Jira rule based on the Field Value Changed trigger (on the Description field).

Then add a New Action for Create issue.

Put in the fields you would like to populate from the parent.

For each of those field, chose Copy from Current Issue

Then click on the words Current Issue for each field to modify which field you are copying from. 

Save each step, Publish the rule and then test it out.  :-)

Laxman Prasad Kuppili August 11, 2020

Thank you Mr. John.

Well, please address a different concern.

As part of daily routines of creating Tasks & their Sub-Tasks, I am planning for a below minor web based tool with single form.

I want to design a form with the following for a sub-task creation. The form can be built using any framework like Java, Dot Net or Appian.

1. Task Number (Input field)

2. Assignee (Input Name/User ID/Email ID field)

3. Title for Sub Task (Input Field)

4. Description for Sub Task (Input Text Area field)

5. Due Date for Sub Task (Input Date Field)

6. SUBMIT button.

Expectation in Submit button:

The Submit button event will take the inputs of the above controls and appends the values to the respective parameters in the query string. 

Example: jiratickets.com/projectname/CreateSubTaskIssue!default.jspa?parentIssueId=123456&taskNumber=1234&assignee=ABCD&Title=xyz&description=uvwxyz&dueDate=01012020/

So, in my case, I would like to know the jira standard notations of the parameter names for the fields 1 to 5 above. Although Description can be omitted if not feasible.

Any suggestion please?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 11, 2020

I see that you have posted the second question under a separate post. Thank you for doing that as you will get more eyes to see it.  :-)

And, unfortunately, this is a case that I don't have the expertise to help you with. Hopefully, someone will respond soon on the other post. 

Cheers!

Suggest an answer