Add 'None' to Delete Resolution dropdown menu

Devin Edwards December 23, 2015

Wouldn't fixing this issue be much simpler by adding the default Unresolved (ie 'None') value to the Delete Resolution page's Dropdown menu? We wouldn't have to go through every workflow which has an issue with this resolution. Currently, we can only transition from one resolution value to another.

DeleteResolution.png

To clarify: I want to delete a Resolution field value of "Unresolved" which my predecessor added years ago and set as the default resolution. I don't want to delete a resolved value and set them to unresolved. Creating a Resolution value of Unresolved is a very common JIRA mistake and fixing it is aggravatingly complex.

Yes, if I were to delete the Resolution Value "Fixed" and set all issues with the Resolution "Fixed" to "None" that would cause issues, but this request isn't that situation. This situation would fix my problem and alert users that they haven't correctly set the resolution status on their issues. I think a lot of other users would find this fix to be very helpful.

1 answer

1 vote
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 23, 2015

I can understand both sides of the argument here. For many users removing the resolution on issues that have been closed will lead to challenges with their reports. Although for others it may be a valid resolution. 
Personally before removing any resolution I would always want to manually confirm the resolution each issue should now show. A bulk change of resolutions would be most appropriate then at least I can be sure of the action that I would take. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 23, 2015

I'm not sure I'd want to allow an edit to remove the resolutions either. Sounds like a good way to break everything. General advice on the Resolution field is that you *always* want to use it, even when your business case makes it useless. You need to set it on "closed" issues, and not have it on "open" ones, even if you don't use the value. If you don't use it, the reporting, Agile, Portfolio, and lots of other add-ons simply don't work properly. (Note that I'm not defending the way it works here. Personally, I'd demote it to a simple field that might be useful and change the whole "issue is open/closed" system to something a bit more useful and intuitive. But that's just my opinion)

Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 23, 2015

As @Nic Brough [Adaptavist] states this would be a really easy way to break lots of functionality. If the presence of resolutions is causing you pain a simpler option may be to change your workflow to allocate the appropriate (Completed perhaps?) resolution when users transition the final step in the workflow. You could then remove the resolution field from the resolution screen as well. I would fully test this first before releasing it on the end users and would certainly keep copies of the original workflow and screens in case it needed to be reinstated in the future.

Devin Edwards February 5, 2016

The problem occurs when someone creates an "Unresolved" resolution value in addition to the already Unresolved resolution value (a.k.a. "None"). People start to select this for tasks that aren't done yet because they added the Resolution field (which is required) to the Edit task screen.

I know this seems specific, but many admins make this mistake when starting out and the problem compounds. Mass removing a Resolution of let says "Not Done" would be very helpful, but only if I can set the fields to None from there.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2016

Exactly, the answer is not to change it, as Phill said

Suggest an answer