Ability to create multiple Epic issue types with different names

Elif Alverson April 13, 2016

Hello, 

I would like to have a new issue type called " A " and it should have the exact same functionality as Epic Issue type except the name.It is a needed functionality for us. People tend to be confused by the "Epic" name, and we cannot just changed it, as it's used in many projects.

What would you recommend? 

Thanks!

Reference to : https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSW-7203

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2016

You can't add a new Epic type. The best alternative would be a specific Issue Link.

We have the Structure plugin, and that allows us to set a hierarchy of issues based on epic links (an epic contains its stories), but also based on specific issue links (stories contain other stories from other projects).

For instance, we use a project as a Portfolio in which we have Epic and Feature issue types. We use an implemented by/implements issue link to link our Features with Epics from Development projects, which are run in scrum boards. These development Epics also have Stories which have Subtasks.

So within Structure, that gives us a 5-level hierarchy. You can have as many levels as you want, the estimates are summed up in special estimates fields in the parent issues.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSW-9455

That's the original, non-duplicate issue from your reference. Creating hierarchies with issue types other than Epic>Story, that's basically what Structure does. I wouldn't count on this feature being added to JIRA Software (Agile) anytime soon.

It's a good plugin, very powerful but a bit pricey, and it's not exactly easy to configure the synced filters. I think you should give it a go with a 30-day trial.

Elif Alverson April 14, 2016

Nick,

Do you know if it is possible to change the field scheme associated with "Epic" issue types without impacting the work of other groups that use epics? I would like to remove some of the extraneous fields that have been added for other teams in the global Epic issue type.

Thank you.

Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2016

Yes you can. In most respects, Epics are issues like the others, so they can be assigned their own Screen Scheme.

1. Start by creating your screen, with only the fields you want for Epics
  2. Create a Screen Scheme that uses that new screen
  3. Edit the Issue Type Screen Scheme used in your projects and assign the Epic issue type to the Screen Scheme you just created.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/associating-screen-and-issue-operation-mappings-with-an-issue-type-185729619.html

You might want to specify different field behaviors, like which fields are mandatory, with a specific Field Configuration for your Epics

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/associating-field-behavior-with-issue-types-185729484.html

Once you get used to the concept of Schemes and Issue Type Schemes, you can easily configure different issue types to behave completely differently from one another. Just a bit of advice though, try and keep the customizations to a minimum and re-use screens as much as you can. It quickly gets out of hand as your instances grows and users want things done in a very specific way.

Like Rebecca Lüke likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2016

Build a new issue type screen scheme, and use your new screen schemes in it.  Then go to the project and change the issue type screen scheme to your new one.

Elif Alverson April 15, 2016

Nic, 

You are awesome as usual. Thank you so very much for your time and patience. 

Elif

Aarti March 17, 2017

Hi, 

I just read you Answer Above . Actually, I also want to create customize Hierarchy levels in JIRA Itself so I am using Portfolio  plugins for creating Hierarchy levels. The problem I am facing right now is that I am not able to add Epic (by default) in the Level List. Please find the image below.

image2017-3-17 13:35:4.png

Thanks In advance for Your Time. 

Suggest an answer