restricted access for admin?

dD November 25, 2021

Dear Community,

I was wondering if it is possible to restrict access to certain projects for Jira admins in the Jira software?

The reason is that I am a student working for my university in a Jira project where we automate administrative processes. Therefore I need admin rights to use scriptrunner, user management and so on.... 

So I need to have access to these tools and functions, but I am not allowed to see other projects where sensitive information is stored. Is there any solution for this problem?

Best thanks in advance!

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Florian PEREZ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 25, 2021

You can restrict access on the project for admin by adding a security scheme to your issues. You can even try to restrict the access to a group map only in a AD where they can't interract. 

Yeah administrators can still add a jira group with the same name as you AD group add themself in this group in order to get the vision on the issues but it will be a voltary action and you should be able to find who has done this modification just by looking at the audit log.

But let's be honnest, as Nick said you should trust the Jira administrators in general. Restricting thing to them will just make support much harder for them if they need to help you later. 

dD November 28, 2021

This helped me a lot, thank you!

Slava Gefen January 22, 2023

You can restrict access on the project for admin by adding a security scheme to your issues.

But other admins can add themselves to this security level or add new one) The only way is to demote them to project admin or trust them - it's true!

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 25, 2021

No, the role of an admin is to administrate the system.  Most of the things they can do are about changing global things, they can't be limited to projects.

You can set it up so an admin can't see projects when acting as a non-admin user, but they will always be able to administrate those projects, and hence be able to get access to them (permission schemes are one of the things admins can control, and they're shared)

The only real solution is that you have to trust your admins.

dD November 28, 2021

Yes, that is correct! Thank you for your answer.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events