"View on Board" on the new Jira issue view

Jira Admin September 6, 2018

There's no "View on Board" link from the new Jira issue view, or at least I can't find it or figure out how to configure it.

6 answers

5 votes
Jeremy Shinn May 17, 2021

The new issue view is not usable without the ability to jump to any boards where the issue is represented.  I've been using the old view as a result but today I was apparently forced to the new view and now I don't have that critical functionality.  When can I expect it on the new view?

Paul Taylor April 5, 2022

@Jira Admin  I find it frustrating in the community when we see posts like this for significant functionality that is still missing. this was highlighted first about 4 years ago. This is a deprecation of functionality that existed and I am sure it is a feature that many users are missing... even if they don't spend the time to bang their heads on the proverbial brick wall of the product team's backlog. I hope I am wrong and it is there but buried somewhere ?  I probably use this function more than 100 times per day. Can you provide a proper update with a timeline on when we can expect to see this.

Like # people like this
3 votes
Richard K September 9, 2019

I added myself to the feature request, but cannot comment there ("server bug" popup), so will try here. 

------

I strongly support it - the old view has the Agile Board which locates the issue the hierarchy.

Or is this function called by another name in the new view?

Richard, PeopleFluent

Lenny Mullen October 7, 2019

Seconding this -- @Richard K  @Mohamed Riza -- where can I see / watch / follow this request?  I just switched to the "new" view and this button is sorely missed :( 

Jan Worath December 16, 2019

3rding this, I keep checking back to see if the new issue view is usable, but it still is not implemented: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17107.%C2%A0

Without the view on boards link Jira is essentially unusable for me, so I am holding out until this finally added. I have little hope though.

Like Lenny Mullen likes this
1 vote
Colleen Wilson December 28, 2022

Seriously now. The old view is going away in January, thereby reducing this functionality that has been very useful. Please fix this.

1 vote
Chad Small June 21, 2020

+1 waiting for this feature as well. In the meantime, clicking back to old view and 'view on board' from there. 

Walter Lee June 30, 2020
Like # people like this
Barry Maldonado March 25, 2021

Have you check the board administrators? I had the permission to browse projects, but once I updated the board administrators to myself that fixed my ability to not see the board on the new view. 

1 vote
Mohamed Riza
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 10, 2018

Hi Walter, 

Thanks for the clarification. Can you please go to the board where this issue is present, then go to the Board Settings from the Top Right corner. Here you should then see a tab for Columns. Please provide a screenshot of this. Note that you may want to blur out any information that is sensitive before you upload it here. 

1 vote
Mohamed Riza
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 10, 2018

Hi Walter,

The "View on Board" would show up if the issue is a Jira Software project.

Can you clarify:

1. Is this an Issue from a Jira Software project? 
  2. What is the board type that this issue is present in? 
  3. Are you on a Cloud or Server instance? 
Jira Admin September 10, 2018
  1. Yes, it is a Jira Software project.
  2. The board type is Scrum.
  3. Cloud instance

I am definitely not seeing any View on Board links.

Mohamed Riza
Atlassian Team
September 10, 2018

Thanks for the clarification. Can you please go to the board where this issue is present, then go to the Board Settings from the Top Right corner. Here you should then see a tab for Columns. Please provide a screenshot of this. Note that you may want to blur out any information that is sensitive before you upload it here. 

Jira Admin September 11, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 9.34.30 AM.png

Jira Admin September 11, 2018

And since you are an Atlassian employee, here's an example issue you can look at:

<cleared>

There's no View on Board link, but if you switch to old view:

<cleared>

it's there!

Mohamed Riza
Atlassian Team
September 12, 2018

Hi @Jira Admin,

Thanks for the clarification.

This seems to currently be currently not implement in the new Jira Issue view. You may review the following doc on the new issue view https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracorecloud/the-new-jira-issue-view-938040503.html which says:

Full-page issue view

As we're still building some features for the full-page issue view, we've added a click-through option so you can see the old issue view if you need to. Click See the old view at the top-right of the full-page issue view to access anything that's not yet available in the new view.

Therefore the current option is to view this back on the old view option.

I have also created the following feature request to address this issue: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17107. 

Martin Kemp September 20, 2022

When will this menu option be implemented? It's been 4 years since this discussion and no sign of it in Jira Cloud yet. 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer