issues in JIRA settings

Martina Zibrínová December 17, 2021

Hi, please,

1.Why do i see custom fields from other projects when doing bulk changes on issues?

2.Why creating issues form is showing me sprints and epics from other jira projects?

Thank for an advice.

Martina

3 answers

0 votes
Stephen Harlowe December 20, 2021

It also matters if the custom fields were created Enterprise level and for every Project or just for your Project. My guess is that they are Enterprise wide; i.e., Components are at the individual Project Level where Labels are seen and shared across every Project.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2021

A short answer would be "because Jira is for working together and sharing information".  Specifically:

1.Why do i see custom fields from other projects when doing bulk changes on issues?

Because fields do not belong to projects - a project chooses to use them.  As a project could choose to use any globally available field, the bulk-edit will offer them to you for edit!

2.Why creating issues form is showing me sprints and epics from other jira projects?

Because sprints and epics are intended to be cross-project items that can draw from any project you care to use them in.

0 votes
Radek Dostál
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2021

It really comes down to Atlassian's vision for the products, but this is just my understanding of it.

Bulk change is done from issue navigator - so as you can browse for any issues available to you, the bulk change must also accommodate for this, it's quite a generic page to begin with.

The other question is - what makes a field "associated" with issue. There are basically 2 components.

The first one is "human" way - is the field used in any of the screens for the issuetype in the project?

The second is the "technical" way (and of course the one Jira will use) - is the field "available" for the issuetype and this project?

And what makes it "available" depends on the field's context. What you're seeing in bulk change is all available fields - because it's simply that - they're available. Whether you are using them or not is not something Jira can really know, nor is it something it should try to know.

We might argue whether Jira possibly could learn to identify which fields you really want or not, but it will never cover each and every use case, because sometimes you want to do bulk changes on issues for fields which you are not - strictly speaking - "using", and there are use cases to using fields without having them on your screens - for instance some automations can use them "in the background".

Collaboration, and that's what Jira's built around. You could for example have one project with just Epics, and then 20 projects per individual teams, so they need a way to link to the epics.

Same with sprints - multiple projects can work on the same sprint.

I believe that you are seeing them from other projects as there are lenient/public permissions on your instance.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events