how to configure or add user to board

Jackie Erickson November 30, 2016

3 answers

3 votes
Melanie DuPont July 10, 2019

The first step is to add the user to your project.

The second step (which might be necessary) is to Share with the user any Filter you used to build the Board. You will only have to take this step if the Filter you used to build the Board is private.

Before you begin, you must be an administrator of the Jira Project.

To grant a user access to a Jira project:

1. In Jira, click Projects.
    1. If you see your Project under CURRENT PROJECT or RECENT PROJECTS, click it.
    2. If you do not see your Project, click View All Projects. For Search, type the project's name, then click it.
  2. In the lower left corner, click Project settings.
  3. On the Project settings page, scroll down while looking at the Summary column (second column from the left). In that column, click Users and roles.
  4. On the Users and roles page, near the upper right corner, click Add users to a role.
  5. In the Add users to a role box:
    1. Click in the Users or groups textbox. Type in the user's first initial and last name. Jira will display a list of matches. Click the correct user.
    2. For Role, scroll down and click Users.
    3. Click the Add button.
  6. Provide the user with a link to your project's Activity page, and see if they are able to get into the project successfully. The link will be something like https://server.com/projects/PROJECTKEY/summary
  7. Provide the user with a link to your project's Board, and see if they are able to get into the Board successfully.

To grant a user access to a specific Kanban board in your Jira project:

1. In Jira, go to the project's Activity page (something like https://server.com/projects/PROJECTKEY/summary).
  2. On the top navigation bar, click Boards, then click View all boards.
  3. For Find a board, type the Board name.
  4. When the Board name you want appears in the list, on its row, click the ... button, then click Configure.
  5. On the General and filter page, in the Filter section, under Shares, click Edit Filter Shares.
  6. On the Edit Current Filter page, if next to Viewers it says Not shared:
    1. For Add Viewers, choose Project, then click the name of your project, then All. Then click Add.
  7. Provide the user with a link to your project's Board, and see if they are able to get into the Board successfully.
Aswin December 8, 2019

I can go until the 5th step.

in the 5th step, I can't see the Edit filter shares even if I have the Admin access.

Can anyone help me regarding that.

Gale Satre December 18, 2019

I'm in version 8.5.1 and I also cannot see "Edit Filter Shares"

Lasse H March 2, 2020

I can confirm we have the same issue in JIRA Cloud as of today. Can someone from Atlassian please look into this? Thanks.

Like # people like this
Hannah_Avellaneda March 10, 2020

Same problem! Can we please get an update?

Like # people like this
Mindance March 11, 2020

Having the same issue. Created new project. Added new person. Can't assign that person any tasks

Hannah_Avellaneda March 11, 2020

Here's what I did to make sure new users have access to a specific project and board. 

@Mindance 

Step 1: Create a new group

1. Create a group for that specific group of individuals that you want to access a project here: https://admin.atlassian.com/s/c2da54cf-fead-4a6d-a1e2-0944573b7744/groups
    1. Go to settings, click on user management, click on groups, click on create group
    2. Click on edit group access, add group that was just created

Step 2: Add new users

1. Add new user 
  2. Update group access for new user to the group created

Step 3: Add internal users to group

1. Add all internal users who should also have group access to the new group

Step 4: Create a Permission Scheme 

1. Create a Permission Scheme - https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/managing-project-permissions-776636362.html#Managingprojectpermissions-permission_schemes
    1. Go to settings, click on issues, click on permission schemes, click on add permissions
    2. IMPORTANT STEPS: ADD THE GROUP THAT YOU WANT TO ACCESS THESE PROJECTS TO THE SCHEME
      1. You can also grant access to individual users if they are not part of said group

Step 5: Create project

1. Create a new project: https://snacknation.atlassian.net/secure/project/ViewProjects.jspa
    1. choose the correct template (e.g. kanban)
  2. Go to project settings, click on add people, add the group & site admin
  3. Go back to project settings, click on summary, click on permissions scheme, click actions and use a different scheme, select scheme that was created in step 4, click associate

TADA!

0 votes
Jack Niu January 6, 2020

I am on free mode, also could not see other users' tasks in board, any solutions or cause I am using a free mode.

0 votes
Deleted user November 30, 2016

Jackie, if you have admin access, you can go to see 'manage boards' option on your main menu. Select the board you want to provide access to the user, then see the share the board option with a group, role, or user. Add the user id (should be a valid user in Jira) and click on Add. Thanks.

Chris Baroudi April 2, 2019

Hi  Guban,
There are hundreds of menus within Jira. Which one is the main menu? I am not able to find this "manage boards" option.

Thank you.

Like # people like this
Leon_Lebeckij April 9, 2019

Hey,

I have the same issue, need to add user into Kanban board, but failing to see that option..

Like Jason Durst likes this
Russe Rillema June 11, 2019

I also cannot follow this answer and am looking to accomplish the same thing

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 13, 2019

This answer is three years old, and things have moved on.  It still points to the right place, but you can only share with Groups, Projects (i.e. people who can see the issues in the project), anyone with a login or the whole world.

Demetry Gerodimos June 26, 2019

In the board settings I have made the filter open to the public, but I am still getting an error message "We're having troubles connecting to your boards".   Any help?

it January 27, 2020

Hi, I am having trouble configuring filter shares. 

I can only add a group called: 'site admins' this is the only option.

I would like to add another group. Please assist me on this matter

image.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2020

Are you a member of the group you are trying to add?

it January 27, 2020

No I am not, I am logged in as the organisational and site-admin

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 27, 2020

You'll need to  be in the groups you want to share this with.

Like it likes this
it February 3, 2020

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- An additional question about this, I managed to give a project role only access to 1 board. 

They are still able to search issues and via this way see the issues of the other boards in a project. can I disable this in any way?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 4, 2020

You would need to remove whatever access they are granted to the projects you don't want them to see.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events