how do you measure percentage availability of Jira Data Centre?

Arnold July 11, 2022

We'd like to show that our Jira Service was available >=99.9% of the time over the previous 30 day interval (or, more advanced, over any interval e.g. 'this past year')

Is anyone here doing this for their on-premise Jira Data Centre service?

1 answer

1 vote
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2022

Hi @Arnold ,

you should install free add on https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/20909/javamelody-monitoring-plugin?tab=overview&hosting=server

That plugin will provide that information.

Hope this helps,

Fabio

Arnold July 14, 2022

Hi @Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_ 

Thanks for this.

I had a look at the page and its images : I can see graphs (which we currently have using a different method) but I couldn't see a simple %ge number for uptime, which is what is desired.

Can you confirm that this plugin does give this?

Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2022

On JIRA data center instance you can retrieve that information on System -> Clustering menu where you can see the uptime for each single node.

Fabio

Arnold July 15, 2022

Hi @Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_ 

ah that 'uptime' is a different thing (time since last startup) than what I'm after.

What I'm after is a %ge uptime over an interval (e.g. over this last 30 days)

As an example:  If there were no unplanned, unexpected, undesired outages (e.g. the system became unavailable for whatever reason) over this 30 days, then it'd report  30/30 = 100% available

However, if (as an extreme example but it keeps the maths simple) the system was unavailable for 1 day over the interval (e.g. last 30 days) then it'd report 29/30 = 96.7% available.

Does your plugin recommendation accomplish that?  I couldn't tell from the images...

Ultimately that's what's desired:  a simple %ge availability over a given interval.

I've changed the original summary because you're right, using the term 'uptime' is ambiguous:  I've now changed it to 'how do you measure percentage availability of Jira Data Centre?'

Suggest an answer