how do i create custom report in Jira?

Gowtham B May 16, 2018

I am generating minor enhancements report every week using JIRA data. I  am using some filters in excel sheet to generate it. its an old model that we are using to generate report. we are tired of working in excel sheet. so i have to automate it. is there any possibilities to generate automatic report from selective fields of jira data?

3 answers

1 vote
Иван Кузнецов May 16, 2018

@Gowtham B

Hi,

You can subscribe to Jira filter, for receiving automatically generated report in defined periods.

I am using confluence pages with included JIRA filters to build reports. You can input defined Jira filter in to page and it will be dynamically.

The second way, which i like - addon Arsenale Dataplane. There are a lot of different report types, you can try trial version for 30 days.

Thomas Bowskill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 16, 2018

I embed on Confluence pages too. If the information can be given real-time and you just want to display the tabular data (with no calculations) then it's easier to manage this way.

If you want to calculate things with that data then I think you need to start looking at Apps (e.g. I think EasyBI is something in that vein -- something on my radar but I haven't played with it).

Gowtham B May 16, 2018

@Иван Кузнецов

how to add jira filters?

Thomas Bowskill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 16, 2018

There is a JIRA macro in Confluence: https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/jira-issues-macro-139380.html

In this you can either write JQL or load in an existing filter

@Gowtham BYou have to create and save your JQL filter. After that you have to go: Issues-Manage Filters. In right screen side you will find Subscribe buttons vs every saved filter. If you click Subcribe, system will display screen, where you can configure report period and subscribers.

Gowtham B May 16, 2018

@Иван Кузнецов

can i generate bar-chart report automatically using that JIRA data?

@Gowtham BDepends of way, which you will choose. You can find an examples below.

Anyway, solution depends of report requirements. For example, if you have to create composite report with few bars or diagramms with different filters - you have to implement completely different system, which will hook data from JIRA and construct your report. This is more expensive solution.

If task is more simple you can try Arsenale or Confluence(including addons for diagrams) or other addons for build it. This is less expensive solution, but maybe requires some manuall actions each times.

Subscription to JQL filter - there is only Issue list, which you will peridiocally receive via mail:

Untitled2.png

From Arsenale Dataplane Report you will receive PDF reporter with detailed information like this:Untitled.png

There is a lot of report types in Arsenale:

Untitled3.png

@Gowtham BAdditionally you can try default Jira Service Desk reports. For my requirements it was lack in connection of low configuration.

0 votes
Riaz Raza January 4, 2021

This has been my biggest frustration, but then I was able to connect Jira with Power BI using Jira APIs. I have made it opensource and you can get it from here,

https://github.com/KoderLabs/jira-powerbi-template

Using Power BI, you can create all sort of reports you want without much hassle, that too for free. Before going with Power BI, I tried creating a plugin, but creating a plugin for every report takes too much time and is too much hassle to manage a lot of reports.

Feel free to use it and give feedback. 

0 votes
Janis Plume _eazyBI_
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 31, 2018

Hi,

eazyBI is definitely an option to try out for creating advanced and automated reporting from the Jira data. You can check some of the report examples on the public demo account:

https://eazybi.com/accounts/1000/dashboards/4553-jira-issues-dashboard

You can start your trial from the Atlassian Marketplace for Jira Server:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211051/eazybi-reports-and-charts-for-jira?hosting=server&tab=overview

or Jira Cloud:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211508/eazybi-reports-and-charts-for-jira-cloud?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

and contact support when some questions arise.

Kindly,

Janis, eazyBI support

Gowtham B July 2, 2018

Hi,

I am not able to install trial version of eazyBI. I am getting error like java exception has occurred

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 3, 2018

You'll need to read your logs and look at the error to see what the problem is.  "Java exception" only tells us "something broke", we can't diagnose anything from that.

Janis Plume _eazyBI_
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 4, 2018

@Gowtham B please, contact eazyBI support for such cases. We will definitely look in more details on the issues with add-on installation.

Kindly,

Janis

Suggest an answer